Expansion tank.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Hunters123, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Hunters123

Hunters123 New Member

Expansion tank on unvented heating system (white one) when checked it had no pressure at all. Turned water off drained hot and cold, pumped tank up to manufacturers advised 3bar . Checked again approx 12 hours later and pressure was down to 1.5bar. No water comes out of air valve and valve not leaking. So went through same procedure pumped up again to 3 bar and now been approx 24 hours and still at 3 bar. Concerns me it had no pressure then lost 1.5 bar in 12 hours but now gone 24 hours and no loss.any ideas or thoughts?? Don't want to replace if it's not faulty but seems strange why it was losing pressure previously? But now seems ok??

2. itchyspanner

itchyspanner Member

just keep an eye on it, air is a funny buga. if problems persist get a g3 qualified engineer to do an anual safey check.

3. Hunters123

Hunters123 New Member

Thanks, i have booked an engineer for boiler service next month will get them to do safety check at same time. I did notice last time I checked it when I removed the dust cap from the valve there was an quick noise of released trapped air. So I'm thinking maybe valve slightly faulty and that noise is air trapped by dust cap? Also should you check air pressure with cold water off and drained?? With the water on (3 bar reducer) does the water pressure (3bar) against the diaghfram give a true reading of air pressure??