Experience with council housing issues.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Pablo-Handy, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Pablo-Handy

Pablo-Handy Member

I need to speak with someone with experience with situations where improvements have been done without consent and what's to be expected from the council.

My friend is becoming very ill, because she thinks she is going to face criminal charges and be evicted.

Some control freak who was supposed to be a helper, turned the flat into a building site and ignored her concerns. We chucked him out, but have had to Finnish off what he started.

Anyway, it would be nice to speak with someone with experience on the matter.

If you are or know a housing officer or other.

Would be appreciated.

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

What are the issues?

You say building site, but what are the extent of the alterations?

Knock throughs, removing walls etc, or more cosmetic?

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Why not ask your local council housing officer yourself.
    Posting some pictures of your concerns may help.

4. Pablo-Handy

Pablo-Handy Member

Well.
    Throughout tiled floors, except lounge.
    Skirting replaced with tile Skirting in hall way.
    All walls tiled bathroom and toilet.
    New toilet.
    New shower bath and screen.
    New shower bar.
    Access panel made for shower bar.
    New towl rail to replace radiator, reposition at end of bath. Pipes embedded in wall.
    New sink with cabinet.
    Led bathroom cabinet embedded in inner wall linked to lighting ring.
    Two false ceilings in bathroom and toilet with spot lights fitted.
    Extractor fan fitted in toilet.
    New extractor fan in bathroom.
    Replaced copper waste pipes from kitchen with plastic, as were blocking and eroding.
    Dropped radiator pipes in lounge under floor near balcony door. Doubt they will notice.
    Pipes running round lounge were put underfloor, but had concerns with plastic joints, so putting back to how they were above Skirting and will box them in some time.
    Skirting replaced in lounge with solid wood Skirting.
    Unsightly Glass panels above doors boxed in. All frames planed or replaced. Everything redecorated.

Basically the home has had a massive upgrade, obvious improvements and replaced things that didn't work.

She's worried she's going to be done for criminal damage.

The bathroom before had just plain tiles in bath area, basic bath and a basic pedistal sink with a crack in it. The shower bath tap didn't mix. We used the boiler temperature to adjust the shower temp.
    The house before had vinyl flooring tiles.
    All the door frames and Skirting was heaped in paint drips and redundant phone wire clips and wires.

Il enclose a pic of bathroom.

The ceiling has now been painted and the sink and basin is **** the guy brought, will replace at some point. Flat bottomed sink!

Anyway, my view is we've spent thousands on improving the home. Replaced faulty stuff, asked the council for nothing, not botherd them at all. Added value to their property. Looked after it very well.

I suspect they will say.
    Put things back if you leave, if necessary.
    If anything is not up to standard, they will charge to correct it.

I can't see them coming down hard, unless everything was bodged or silly things are done, or it's clear damage that has been done.

Am I correct in thinking that?

Attached Files:

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

As a local authority tennant you are allowed to make improvements to the property. What they don't like is major structural work - moving the kitchen from one room to another, knocking walls down etc.

Replacing the bath, toiler and shower is fine as long as they are suitable.

The primary concern for the Council is that the property is safe, it is clean and warm for the residents.

When the time comes that someone else comes to live in the property, it has been known for the previous tenants to receive a rebate (cash given back to them) for the work they have done to the property.

I have gone into Local Authority and Housing Association property where they have painted entire rooms (walls and ceiling) one colour - not white crimson, purple, black etc. and the decorators have come in and just painted over it - no arguments, no nasty letters, no bills etc. I have also seen council houses which have gone the other way with ornate plaster work - niches, coving and the Council have asked the incoming tenant if they want to keep them or have them removed. Again no issues.

So if anything your friend will get a pat on the back from the local housing manager for wanting to live in a better place

6. That's not like any council house I've seen :)

I do hope Sos is right.

Keep us posted, PH. If your friend is a long-term tenant and hopes to remain that way, I can't see that they'd have any issues.

They might, I guess, want some confirmation that any electrical work has been done to current standards and has been checked/certified, as this would obviously be a safety issue. So I would not mention any leccy work that's been carried out.

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

My mother still lives in a council house and won't move / let me buy the house. She won't let the council workmen do anything for her. Over the years I have fitted a separate shower enclosure for her, new kitchen, drive way etc. No problem at all.

One of the jobs I have to do when the weather breaks is to build a tiny extension for another tenant to house a downstairs toilet. Again the residents didn't want the council involved (work men or adult services) but wanted it done to their specs not what they were told they wanted!

8. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Only thing there I can see a possible issue with would be the electrics for the fan and mirror. They may want it testing (although many councils do regular testing of the electrics (at least once every five yrs) ) Apart from that I think your friend has nothing to worry about. You are allowed to redecorate a council house and tiling a bathroom is no different from decorating really.

9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Nothing to worry about PH, as others have said. You have upgraded the property and it looks like it's been done to a good standard.
    I would be more concerned if your friend had gutted the place and walked away.
    Are the rest of the rooms finished?

10. Pablo-Handy

Pablo-Handy Member

Cheers for advice, all sounds reasonable. Thank you.

Yeah the rest of the house is pretty much there now. By the time anyone wants access it should look very spotless and beautiful.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  11. Can you tell us where you are - just in case I happen to be moving in to that area... :oops: