Expose cables and conduit

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Jay459, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Jay459

Jay459 Member

I want to move a double electrical socket, a single coax socket and a single socket that has 6 speaker cables and 3 hdmi cables coming out. I believe this third one the cables are contained within box trunking and not conduit but don't think that matters.

I want to move these a third of the way up the wall and about half a metre to the left. So my electrical boxes are within a large wall mounted shelving system...

I have got a lend of a kango with channeling bit. I presume it will be best to channel at a bend, curve it in towards where i want it to be rather than going straight up and left like a right angle..??

How shall I go about exposing the conduit in the wall, should i use a grinder?

2. Google prescribed zones for electrical cables.

3. Jay459

Jay459 Member

I realise that chasing at a curve or right angle is wrong but it must be done and it is safe. There is no chance of the wall ever being disturbed for any future drilling.

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Are you sure?

You would be better going all the way back to the floor/ceiling which ever they originate from.

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

How and where are you going to extend the cables ?

6. Jay459

Jay459 Member

No its going to be too awkward curving it round. Im just going to chase it to the ceiling then drop in down the proper way. Will a diamond blade in a 4.5 inch grinder do ok for exposing the conduit?

7. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Define 'proper way' in your eyes, BS7671 dictates the correct way.

8. If the cables are running from the ceiling down you should be able to pull them out from above if they are in a conduit drop.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Don't even think about using a grinder, your room will be like a sahara desert dust storm, lump hammer & electricians bolster is easier.:)

10. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

As Kiab, or use sds drill on chisel with suitable bit.