Extending a Newel Post

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by gilbertbyproxy, Jul 7, 2014.

1. gilbertbyproxy

gilbertbyproxy New Member

Hi Guys

I need to extend my newel post from beneath the floorboards I was wondering what is the best way of attaching a square newel above the floor to the half newel below.

The half newel is at the top of the stairs with a small landing and one step to main landing. I will also be attaching it to a half stud wall but as that is the bit people swing off I need the newel joint to be as strong as possible.

There is a wall about 0.5" behind the half newel and the top of the wall 1.5" below the bottom of the floorboard and I am thinking about leaving the half newel intact (very difficult to get to) and making a sort of half lap joint, I will have about 1.5 inch before it rests on the wall which could add strength.

upload_2014-7-7_16-18-23.jpeg
    If I screw in at angles 2 at the front and 2 at the back with glue in the joint, would this be the best option?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You can buy replacement newels which have a spigot on the bottom so you just drill a hole on your half newel and glue it in.
    Search for stair parts.

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If not, drill out and insert your own dowel(150mm x 20mm) i'd suggest. Make it all fit, glue dowel holes and all mating surfaces, knock together, add a couple of screws for security.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. gilbertbyproxy

gilbertbyproxy New Member

Good idea, thanks.

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Mopstick (35mm softwood dowel) drilled into both parts and fixed with PU glue will sort it.