Extending Ceiling Joist

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Leevis, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Leevis

Leevis New Member

Hi All
    About to embark on the removal of a wall between bathroom and toilet (1920s house - mine).
    What I have discovered is that the during the building of a loft extension, the steel runs over the top of the toilet and the joists have been cut to accommodate this steel. What this means is that the ceiling joist which run front to back are now about 50mm from the steel meaning that if I remove the wall the joists will all fall down.
    Need some advice here.
    I can either cut some timber bigger than the existing joists (I think its 6x2 I have - existing are 4x2) at about 1200mm and then hang one end (via a joist hanger) to the steel, and securing to the side of the existing joist (there are 6 in total) with M12 coach bolts and probably some of those dogs teeth connectors.
    The other option I have would be to use a joist hanger with an extra long leg (I think I have seen these in screwfix that are 75mm). This would provide 25mm of 'hold'
    Any idea which one I should do? or even if they are suitable. The first one I think is belt and braces but don't want to do loads of work if its not necessary. Wall is not load bearing . Span of the original joist that doesn't meet the steel is 1800mm.
    Lee

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Photo's would help.

Could bolt timber to rsj & mount jiffy hangers to pick up joists.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  3. Leevis

Leevis New Member

There is already timber within the steel to hang the joists above for the loft. Is it ok to use the longer leg hangers? The gap between the steel and the joist is 50mm so a longer leg will meet the existing joist but only by 25mm tops and not too sure if this is enough.

4. Can't you add/screw/bolt/glue a 6x2 flat against the existing timber in the RSJ to bring it out that 50mm, and then use normal hangers on it?

5. Leevis

Leevis New Member

That's what I was thinking of doing but wasn't sure how long this needed to be? I was thinking 1200mm but might be a bit overkill

6. Leevis

Leevis New Member

I see what you mean now, no, thats not possible as there are joists on top of the ones that i want to extend which are fixed to the hangers

7. I'm confused by that. How can you not add a joist flat on to the existing RSJ's timber, but you can seemingly mount hangers on it?

Any chance of some photos as KIAB has requested?

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

This is what I can't understand, I would have like you just fix another joist to the exsisting one on rsj, basically like a second trimmer, then attach jiffy hangers to pick up orginal joists.

9. Leevis

Leevis New Member

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What a mess!:eek:

11. Leevis

Leevis New Member

Its certainly not neat eh
    In the first picture, the wall on the left is the wall that the joists are sitting on at present and i need to extend them 50mm to the RSJ. As you can see its going to be tricky to do the easy thing :)

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That would never have been passed by building contol.

Either trim the joists square, so you can fix another jost to the present one on rsj to use those joist hangers , or extended the joist by bolting another along side & fix with M12 bolts, plate washers,timber connectors.

Plate washers 10 pack,cheaper in SF competitor.:(

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  13. Leevis

Leevis New Member

I will probably extend the joist by bolting, but, any idea how long it needs to be? and which bolts at which centers?

14. Leevis

Leevis New Member

Just need the length, the joists that are short are 1.8m + 50mm

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I would be looking at around 1200mm,& 4 bolts, but I'm here & not there, also I'm not a structual engineer, there span, load, etc to be considered.

16. Leevis

Leevis New Member

WIll do the M12s plate washers and timber connectors

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

There will be others on later this evening who can help you more.:)

18. Leevis

Leevis New Member

Nice once, thanks for your help, really appreciate it

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

As the span is only 1.8mtrs, then I wouldn't see any problems, could most likely go shorter, but 1200mm length would definitely solve your problem.

20. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Looking a the state it in, I would be incline to rip it all out and re-do it properly, after all its only 6 joists at 1.8 metres so not that much work really.

KIAB likes this.