Extending Ceiling Joist

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Leevis, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Leevis

Leevis New Member

I don't have enough timber to hand to do it, i do have just about enough to extend these existing ones though, i would like to rip out and replace obviously but it probably isn't going to save me much so i would like to extend. I kind of am replacing them if i have to use lengths at 1200mm though :)

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I would have done the same, but I get the impression, there would be a lot more work involved doing this-than he mentions, & this way is an easier opition for him.

3. Leevis

Leevis New Member

There are some mitigating factors in that i want to make clear here. I have taken down the toilet ceiling to see how much short the joists were. The plan is to do the same in the bathroom but that is not possible at this time due to the lack of space in there i.e. need to get the bath out etc which just isn't possible at this time. I was kind of hoping that i could 'get away' with extending them by bolting to the side and hanging etc without having to remove the ceiling (at least not all of it). Currently i have about 400mm of joist on display but i could cut the ceiling in the bathroom 200mm if required. By extending these joists will let me remove the wall and give me the space to take down the rest and easily get the bath out. If the length of the 'extension piece' needs to be longer than that then i will have to think again and wait until i can get the rest of the ceiling down.
    400mm very cool
    500mm to 600mm do-able
    600mm + = rethink
    L :)

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Can you remove some of the ceiling below to give more access to these joists, or maybe use a few acrows to support things, so you can remove part of wall to give more access to couple of joist, extend them, then remove a bit more wall & so on, untill all joists extended.

More than one way around a problem.:)

5. Leevis

Leevis New Member

I can do whatever is required really. Does anyone know of what length i should cut the extending pieces though?

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If you're doing this all in one go, then I would use Acrow props to hold up the existing ceiling, remove wall, bath and whatever else you intend to do, strip the ceiling back, replace joists as one, new plasterboard and skim coat, jobs a goodun.

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

If that junction box is staying, then that needs tidying up as well
    Outside sheath of flex and cable should be inside the JB, clipped as well

Maybe not such an issue as your joists, just saying like ;)

8. Leevis

Leevis New Member

I am most likely going to do this in bits
    1. Extend joists (if possible once i know length)
    2. Remove wall
    3. Decommission bathroom
    4. Tear down rest of ceiling and replace

9. Leevis

Leevis New Member

Electrics will all be taken care of
    Whilst i am on that subject, i currently have down-lighters. the bathroom is only 2.3m by 2.3 so i was thinking of just getting a central light, what does everyone recommend? Not sure i like downlighters anymore

10. Leevis

Leevis New Member

BTW that junction box is totally going it won't be needed as thats the light for the current toilet. I plan to extend the existing pull switch from the bathroom

11. Leevis

Leevis New Member

Anyone had any more thoughts on the lengths of the 'extending joists'?