Extending concrete fence post (before erecting?)

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by billhicks2, Apr 4, 2017.

1. billhicks2

billhicks2 New Member

I am putting up a new fence and already brought the posts (9ft) however I have a 2ft drop to deal with and the 9ft post only ends up being 10" in the ground...

I have tried to find someone that stocked 11ft or 12ft posts in my area but not had much look as they seem to be generally made to order, then i had an idea of bolting some angle irons or similar on the the bottom of the post to allow me to concrete it 2+ft into the ground but I don't know if it will work or if it will even be possible to bolt anything to the posts without them crumbling... Any think it will work?

Ta

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I would of thought its fine as long as the hole is deep enough and full of concrete. The concrete is just an extension of the post in the ground.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Where about are you.

Bolting some angle irons to a concrete post to extend it,is a accident waiting to happen.

Should be stock item at Wrekin concrete, they should also be able to give you a stockist in your area.

http://www.wrekinconcreteproducts.co.uk/home

P. Gee likes this.
  4. billhicks2

billhicks2 New Member

Thanks for the replys, I am in Leicester.

I will checkout your link, thank you

5. billhicks2

billhicks2 New Member

I checked the link it appears the biggest they sell is 9ft

thanks

edit: would bolting steel tubes instead of angle irons be less of a 'accident waiting to happen'?

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Are posts slotted or plain you need.

7. billhicks2

billhicks2 New Member

slotted intermidiates

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

9. billhicks2

billhicks2 New Member

just rang, they sed they don't sell them and they are old pages or something...

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Use to be good some years ago.:(

Tried George Walker fencing in Leicester.

11. billhicks2

billhicks2 New Member

Yep tried every place I could find in Leicester

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

13. billhicks2

billhicks2 New Member

Thanks. I had already found them, problem is the posts are different to the ones I have (spot on top instead of a diamond) and delivery is going to be expensive

14. billhicks2

billhicks2 New Member

What if I got one of them concrete repair spurs and bolted it to the post instead of steel?

15. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

10 inches of concrete is enough to hold post. What do you think will happen with just 10 inches of concrete ..Wobble. Snap. Probably hold fine on 6 inches. If you want to reinforce stick some chicken wire around before you pour concrete.

16. billhicks2

billhicks2 New Member

It wouldn't be strong enough, I would be able to push it over with ease!

17. Phil the paver1

Phil the paver1 New Member

Wayners.

You clearly have no idea what your taking about so maybe it's best you don't offer an opinion on this subject.

Anything less than 600mm is asking for trouble in the future, hence why the industry standard is that.

18. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Thats bonkers, the ratio of in ground and above ground is incorrect - its a concrete post, if that fell on anybody especially a child it could be fatal.

If you can't get fence posts of the correct length, check out the concrete beams used for beam and block floors you won't get a full channel but can make up some clips to screw in.

If at the last resort you can't get longer posts, then you could do something with 4 pieces of 1.5m+ galvanised angle iron. They will need to go into the hole to support each corner of the post with at least 1m above ground. Once the post is in place you will need galvanised steel strapping to tie the angle iron to the post. By no means the best solution

upload_2017-4-4_13-10-46.png

19. If you can put the repair spurs in deep enough, then sink the full post in the 10 inches, bolt them together and then concrete them both in together, it might ge better than the angle irons, but will look a bit clumsy.

20. billhicks2

billhicks2 New Member

Thanks for the suggestions, I have ordered a 10ft post, wont quite be 2ft in the ground but will have todo.

P. Gee likes this.