Extending Existing External Light Circuit for Deck Lighting

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Ally McLeod, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Ally McLeod

Ally McLeod New Member

I'm looking to extend the circuit from an existing outside light fitting to feed some recessed deck lights. The existing light sits immediately above patio doors, and the deck will be covering the area immediately below the doors. Grateful for any tips on whether this can be done without a Part P electrician, what cable to use etc. Thinking about something like http://www.screwfix.com/p/apollo-le...-stainless-steel-white-0-05w-pack-of-10/22392 for the lights. All advice gratefully received.

2. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

You are adding to the circuit and its outside. Both are scope for a part p sparkie

3. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

Just looked at those lights and they are low voltage fed from a standard domestic socket. Drill a hole through the wall install the lights in your deck and then plug them in inside your home. Job done

4. Ally, these lights are ELV (extra low voltage - probably around 12V or summat) so are safe and ideal to use.

They run off a transformer, so that brings two issues; one is that the trannie will need to be kept dry and t'other is that you will need access to a 13A socket.

The best solution to both is to use an existing indoor socket (or one in the shed/garage) and then chust run that thin cable out to the lights.

How you do this is up to you, but is it possible to drill a small diameter hole right through your wall to the outside, or through a nearby timber door frame - whichever gets you to under the decking more neatly (all holes should slope downwards towards the outside and be sealed after the cable has been passed through.

This is all DIY stuff - no alteration to existing mains at all - no Part P.

Leave your existing outside light alone - it looks nifty there. Add a wireless controlled socket thingy and you have remote controlled outdoor decking lights... Well chav... :rolleyes:

5. Argh - as Big Dunk has sadi - more quickly :p

6. Ally McLeod

Ally McLeod New Member

Thanks for the advice - I'll be chav'd up in no time! I like the sound of the wireless controlled socket thingy - I'm struggling to find one on the Screwfix site; do you have a link..?

7. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

8. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

You are adding to the circuit and its outside. Both are scope for a part p sparkie

Or more technically, neither need a "part P" electrician. Only new circuits or special locations need to be signed off with building control.

9. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Correct Peter!

10. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

Out of curiosity, Why is outside the house not a special location then?

11. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Only locations containing a bath or a shower are considered "special locations", we don't make the rules, pen-pushers do that, we just try to abide by them!

12. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

So I can in theory add to my existing lighting circuit around my decking that is open to the elements even though I'm not an electrician and I have no idea of what protection for the cables are required?

13. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Yes in theory you can (as far as part P and BC are concerned) but the work should still be installed, tested and certified by someone who's competent to carry out electrical work.

14. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

Farcical that outside is not a special location but thanks for clarifying