Extending plug socket

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Mike-S-Simms, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Mike-S-Simms

Mike-S-Simms New Member

i have a fused spare right in the way of a cabinet I need fixing to the wall. I've tried pulling the cable (grey sheathed blue, brown, green/yellow) but there is no give. My question is, can I use junction boxes on the cable and extend to the new plug position approx 6" down the wall with 1mm cable or does it need to be thicker? I intend on putting a SP plug socket and having an extension lead in the cupboard to power the TV, Sky, ps4 etc. In theory I think this will work but I'd rather ask.
    Cheers

2. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Basically NO.

Where will your cabinet fixings be? Have you considered the safe zones and will they be violated? Are you sure the cable is vertical?

If you are sure of EXACTLY where the cable runs, why not consider cutting a hole in the cabinet back to allow access to teh fused spur? And have that changed to a socket?

3. Mike-S-Simms

Mike-S-Simms New Member

The fixings are safely in, the hanging rail runs through where the fused spare was. I considered raising the cupboard and cutting in, but it puts the cupboard at an unaesthetic height. Moving it down 6" allows me to turn it into a socket. My main concern is can I use the 3 core 1mm cable? Will it be safe and not burn my house down, which would really annoy the wife! Like a fool I bought the wrong size cable and cut a piece off before thinking about asking, it's just a shame you can't buy the cable in foot lengths

4. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

What does the fused spur serve? If its just a spare then use it to add a socket below. Use 1.5mm2 minimum T&E and a 13A fuse in the spur. B&Q sell cable by the metre.

5. Mike-S-Simms

Mike-S-Simms New Member

Brilliant thanks! Just while I'm here, what does the 2 stand for in 1.5mm2 it's probably a stupid question but if you don't know you might as well ask

6. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Its the cross sectional area of the cable, because the cable is not measured across. 1.0mm2 cable is only rated for 10 amps, so make sure you use 1.5mm2. 1.5mm2 is rated around 16 amps.

7. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

The '2' should be the symbol for squared. It should look like this

Screenshot 2016-09-28 09.36.39.png

Unfortunately this mickey mouse forum software doesn't allow characters in superscript.:mad:

Joe95 likes this.
  8. Mike-S-Simms

Mike-S-Simms New Member

ha ha cheers mate