Extending Wiring behind Plug Socket

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by reepers, Jul 20, 2015.

1. reepers

reepers New Member

Hello,

Just turning a 1G plug socket into a 2G.... but the wiring in the back box (25mm depth) is too short to reach the terminals on the back of the new 2G plug socket....

Will i be ok to extend the wiring (Live and Neutral) using a 30 AMP Terminal Block (plastic strip type) and just cover it well in electrical tape and hide it behind the plug socket in the back box? Or do i need to do something else?

Only need to extend it by around 3-4cm just so it can reach the terminals on the 2G plug

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Not allowed by the regs I'm afraid. You could possibly crimp an extra bit on but you need the right tools and heat shrink and even then it doesn't really meet 100% with the regs.

3. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Things like this I've solved in the past by moving the back back and/or re-running one of the lengths of the cable feeding the socket, if it's a ring.

4. reepers

reepers New Member

So I'm ok to get some decent crimps/tool and then shrink wrap it.

Will I be ok to put 2 wires into one crimp (male) or would you recommend 1 wire per crimp. I assume the Blue coloured one would suffice for a ring main (grey) wire?

5. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Come on Col, there's nothing at all wrong with extending the wires whithin the back-box.
    Reepers, there's nothing at all wrong with what you're planning, if the connections are whithin the back box there's no need for crimping, just connector blocks will be fine. 15 amp ones will be sufficient and will be easier to get into the space than 30 amp ones, also will make a better connection to the cables. No need for tape either, it's in an enclosure!

P.A.H likes this.
  6. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

15 Sen?

7. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Yes FH, if it's a ring and fused at 30/32 amps each conductor will only be carrying half the current even at full load. Also, using connectors that are too big for the cable risks poor connections because the wire can end up down one side of the screw instead of underneath it!

P.A.H and FatHands like this.
  8. reepers

reepers New Member

Which would be better sen, crimping or connectors from a safety point of view. I have a ratchet crimper and blue crimps

Chris.M likes this.
  9. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Crimping single core cable is always viewed with a little uncertainty.
    Having to move crimp jointed cables around to get it all into the back-box isn't good as it can easily loosen the connections. In your situation I would use connector blocks, as I said earlier there's nothing wrong with this in your situation. There's only really need for crimping where the joints are going to be inaccessible.

10. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

11. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Yes I was going to mention Wago's Sparky but several of them can be a bit cumbersome in a confined space (in a back-box)

12. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

If your carful and utilise the space, its an easy job, well far easier than effin' about with a crimper in a 25mm 1G back box thats for sure

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  13. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Yes I do agree with you there Sparky that's why I suggested connector blocks, especially for someone that might not be very experienced with crimping!

14. reepers

reepers New Member

Thanks guys. Gonna do what sen said, use a block strip connector and I'll insulate it with tape just to be safe lol. Then snug it behind the plug socket!

Fingers crossed I don't have to dig out more for a 35mm 2G back box haha

15. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Um I read it as though the choc box would be outisde the back box, my mistake

16. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

2 x 2.5 twin & earth and either wagos or blocks all stuffed into a 25mm back box.......only a diy'er but cant see it fitting whilst keeping the cores tidy and not acutely bent

Crimps possibly but may be better to chop out deeper and do a nice job, plenty of room for connections

Chris.M likes this.
  17. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

What's wrong with the cores being bent then Dave? Lectric does go around around corners ok, it doesn't slow down like water in a tight bend! Seriously though, it will be fine.

18. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

19. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

If it's a ring, then the connectors should be 20A.
    I have seen this solved by simply, turning the socket upside down.

20. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

As I said Sen, I'm just a dreaded diy'er but always thought that the cores should be gently bent back into the box, in a loose curve, not actually folded over to avoid stressing the copper - I may well be wrong of course :(