Extension and path question

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by vulcanhowlxh558, Jan 23, 2015.

1. vulcanhowlxh558

vulcanhowlxh558 New Member

We are thinking of having an extension built at the side of the house (cost allowing). Ive had one quote and he said you need at least 1 metre from the boundary to the wall but the council said you can build up the boundary (planning permission dependant). Who's right?

2. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

Up here in Gods own country you can build right to the boundary. Neighbours can object to this though. We are currently doing an extension where this has happened. We are now keeping the gable wall back 600mm from the boundary so the brickies can get access. Check with the local planning guys when plans are submitted.

FatHands likes this.
  3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

As I understand it, you are both right, to the boundary on the ground floor, 1 metre back in successive floors, this is to do with light admittance in neighbouring properties.

FatHands likes this.
  4. vulcanhowlxh558

vulcanhowlxh558 New Member

Thanks. I live on an end plot so I have a side area where it would be built. The idea is for a single storey to have a study, downstairs WC and a small utility room.

(crude) pic attached for a better idea, blue is existing house and garage, red is extension idea, yellow are nearest homes

Attached Files:

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Looking at that aerial pic, I can't see any problems with your proposals for an extension.