Extension sign off issues

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by lanster, Jul 16, 2015.

1. lanster

lanster New Member

Hello all, I have a quick question. I have had a double storey side and single storey rear extension on my property. Building inspector gave me a list of outstanding jobs, ie fire escape hinges on windows, heat alarm and so on. I have done all of these jobs but the last one states to fit kitchen units! Is he with his rights to include this on a to do list? Thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Planning Portal qoutes the following Building Regulations:

"Kitchen units and fittings, generally does not require building regulation approval. However electrical/ drainage works that form part of the refit may require approval under the building regulations".

See: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/kitchensbathrooms

Never upset a building inspector, they can make your life hell.:mad:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  3. lanster

lanster New Member

I understand that you should never p*** them off, but where do you draw a line? If he's okay with the rest but then states I want to see kitchen cupboards should I hit him with my response?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

He has no rights to request this in my opinion, as long as the electrics are safe, then he is going too far.

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

He covering his ****, he signs it of as a kitchen, you then change it to a bedroom, he's responsible, at least if he see units on the walls he happy it is a kitchen.

KIAB likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Fair point Phil, so he could demand table & chairs,etc in a room, to confirm it's going to be a dinning room then, & not change to a bedroom or kitchen. :rolleyes:

Jobs worth type.:(

7. lanster

lanster New Member

Cheers for the replies, that's the reason I believe too! I don't know what I'd do in house with 4 bedrooms 4 kids and no kitchen! My wife would go spare! If I changed her kitchen into a bedroom and rented it to a couple of Romanians ! There's a new sink fitted and a few wall units so fingers crossed!

8. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Have a nice meal ready for him when he returns!!!!. Lol

KIAB likes this.
  9. OP,

There has been a healthy discussion on the Inspectors right or wrong. I'll try a different angle.

Ok, so at some point you will be fitting a kitchen. What's the rush for the sign off? If there is a rush, you can ask for a part-final completion certificate which will detail which Part of the Building Regulations is still not compliant.