Extension

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Rafeeda Maudarbux, Jun 28, 2015.

?

Hi I am doing this extension and i wanted a french door where you can see this exiting door. My buil

1. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Rafeeda Maudarbux

Rafeeda Maudarbux New Member

IMG_2365.JPG
    IMG_2366.JPG
    Hi I am doing this extension and i wanted a french door where you can see this exiting door. My builder is insisting that a french door cannot be installed due to the weight of the roof and instead has put in two windows and a small door. I am pretty sure he can put a french door instead of two windows and one door but I am not an expert. Can anyone advise please!

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Have you changed your mind half way through the build???, if your drawings show it to be as is, you will need permission to change the design, but back to original question, yes you could alter it to suit French doors as long as you use the correct lintel above them, after all it the lintel that takes the load, not the doors.

Rafeeda Maudarbux likes this.
  3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

French door always nicer on to garden etc but you've left it a bit late to change your mind. Quite a bit of work there to make the opening bigger, especially due to the type of brick being laid. You happy to pay for that? Also, it seems that the design is being made up as you go along...you should have had a drawing from the start!

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Never heard anything like that before!

Sack him.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Rafeeda Maudarbux likes this.
  5. Rafeeda Maudarbux

No my mind was not changed half way through the build, it was originally going to be a build with a french door, but our builder insisted and built the foundations that you can see above.

6. Phil the Paver

???? How is it your builders choice as to how it's built, do you actually have planning permission/Building Regs for this build.

7. Mr. Handyandy

Sack him.

Look, if he doesn't know how to build with french doors and a roof, he's no right being there.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. Rafeeda Maudarbux

Thanks for all your advice!!! This is the first time I am doing any building work and being a single mother /lone women does not help.
    The builder says that the wall is going to be very thick, it is one of the reasons we cannot put a french door. Is that true?

9. Mr. Handyandy

No.

10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

That alone doesn't make any logical sense and is also worrying in that he clearly doesn't know what he's talking about, or is scaremongering for another reason!

Perhaps he already has these windows and door left over from another 'cock up' and is trying to fob them off on to you?!

11. Phil the Paver

The wall won't be as thick as your builder.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Sack him.

And don't pay him any more cash!