Extention over drain cover and digger

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by pau131g, Dec 26, 2005.

1. pau131g

pau131g New Member

Hi Guys,
    Just wondering if anyone can help, we are thinking about building a small extension out the back but looking at the area I noticed that it would cover a drain inspection cover! what would be the best way to overcome this problem? Can you build over it or do you need to keep in so to access the drains to unblock etc.
    Just a bit of homework before we start to plan anything that cost me cash!!
    Also on another note does anyone know if you get a small digger though a garage door front and back as I have an enclosed garden and don't fancy hand balling all that earth!!

Thanks
    Paul

2. ­

­ New Member

Internal manhole covers are available (these have a double seal lid) so you could keep the inspection chamber where it is. It is better (if possible) to re-route drains to outside the building as this avoids internal inspection chambers which have to be accessible.

A one tonne+ mini digger is 900mm wide. The 'Fred Flinstone' roof is removable for low height access. There are smaller diggers (0.8 tonne) but you may not be able to get the depths you require with one of these.

3. T

T Member

double sealed double cover will set u back about 200

4. ­

­ New Member

Nonsense, we buy them for around £50

5. ­

­ New Member

6. building control

building control New Member

move the drain

7. ­

­ New Member

> move the drain

is that an order or a suggestion?

8. building control

take your pick,

I for one would not want to be lifting a floor to rod a blocked drain, would you?

9. Bob Property

Bob Property New Member

move the drain[/b]

is that an order or a suggestion?

Watch out vcm, it might be his area :)

10. pau131g

pau131g New Member

Thanks guys, dont think I fancy having a blocked drain and cleaning it from inside the house!, Building control is it a requirment to move the drains?? will it still pass building regs if I keep it within the house?

11. ­

­ New Member

Moving a drain can cost thousands depending on the complication of the layout.

If I had a double seal manhole in my floor and the drain blocked, I would rod it from upstream and downstream of the blockage from outside first. When the blockage is cleared I would then remove the double seal lid to clean and inspect.

We're comparing a £50 manhole lid to a £00000000 drain move job. How often do good drains block?

Weigh up the costs and make a decision on that.

12. limestone cowboy

limestone cowboy New Member

The tracks on my 1 ton digger narrow in so it will pass through an opening 800mm wide. With the canopy down it's about 5' high. It can dig down to about 6'.

13. Cookoid

Cookoid New Member

My parents have an internal manhole it is tiled right over and you can hardly notice it.

To my knowledge it has never been lifted in the 20 years since it was installed....

14. tmclaugh

tmclaugh Member

Just done an extension with the same problem. BCO was happy to put in a dbl seal cover (to eliminate odours) and put in a new rodding eye outwith the extension so that any blockage can be sorted without needing direct access through the manhole.

15. T

T Member

i said double sealed, double lid, not just double sealed.

16. ­

­ New Member

> i said double sealed, double lid, not just double
    sealed.

What do you mean by <u>double lid</u>, have you a trade link to a supplier as there are many ways of describing manhole fittings.

17. building control

if you can rod the junction from outside, in each direction I would let you dispense with the MH and use a Y junction, ask your BCO, or are you doing it without approval like the rest of the nutters on here?

18. ­

­ New Member

if you can rod the junction from outside, in each
    direction I would let you dispense with the MH and
    use a Y junction, ask your BCO, or are you doing it
    without approval like the rest of the nutters on here?

LOL!

19. pau131g

pau131g New Member

Thanks guys,
    I will be doing it properly, and Iam sure most of the guys out there would be doing it properly as well!!
    I can access the drains up and down stream so should be ok.
    Will look into double seal etc man holes.
    Thanks for everything.
    Paul