Exterior cladding?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by soabar, Aug 28, 2016.

1. soabar

soabar Member

I’ve got a 2.5 x 3M exterior opening with a single standard door , the framework is in 2x4 & the cladding looks like 19mm Redwood shiplap, which is starting to get a bit tired. I’m looking at replacing the cladding & hopefully making it a bit more secure & stronger at the same time.

Any advice on what I can clad it with that would be stronger than shiplap? Sheet material is out of the question as it would be too cumbersome / heavy to fit, so I’ve been looking at TnG floorboards;

25 x 150 redwood TG Floor boards
    Or
    22 x 150 whitewood TG Floor board

I’m Assuming that these would be stronger than the 19mm shiplap, but I’m unsure of their suitability for exterior use & what the differences between red / white are.

Any advice or alternatives appreciated.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Redwood is basically pine like Scots Pine , whereas Whitewood is usually NorwaySpruce,but can include several over speices, both soft wood.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Timber_basics

What finish you having on the cladding?

If staining, look at Cedar cladding.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  3. soabar

soabar Member

It's most likely to get glossed, but strength / security are more important than the ultimate finish.

Thanks.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Well, if security is your main concern,remove cladding fix bearers to frame work & fix to that 18mm ply panels, then new cladding.
    No one will get through it,at a previous place, oiks smashed the cladding, but were unable to get through the 18mm ply.:)

My choice would be Siberian Larch, it's denser,very durable, it's structural properties is better than any pine, you can stain or paint it, but there are some excellent quailty coloured stains finishes available,Osmo is one.

http://www.silvatimber.co.uk/cladding/siberian-larch-cladding.html