Exterior door and frame

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Deleted member 164349, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Probably a niave question, but im going to ask anyway.

Been asked to look at replacing an external back door (attached to window frame too). The door is old and tired, needs replacing really, but the frame is rotten, and needs to be replaced.

Ive never done an external door frame before!

Whats involved, what to look out for? Do I need to think about replacing window too, its frame has about had it too!

The bottom sill is dead too. Does that need brickwork to get out and replace?

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

It's a bit naive to be honest.

Re: frame look for fixing points and see if can be unscrewed, if not hacksaw blade and cut through them, if room a grinder.

Then cut through the frame in the middle on both sides, remove bottom first then pull the top down and out.

Re: window frame this could be either separate and joined on site with screws or made to measure and part of the door frame.

Either way it doesn't matter if changing it, cut it out as above.

Door sill, if its got wings, then brickwork out around it is much easier to remove.

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Deep breath........ Right, if the windows knackered you're better off replacing the lot, as you'll need to fix the door frame into the window frame to properly secure and rigidify (word of the day) the entire ensemble. I take it you're replacing wood with wood? If so, the quickest and best way in my opinion is to hang the door in the frame and drill out for the lock, fit weatherbar, draughtseal etc BEFORE you turn up at the job ready to rip out.

Unscrew any visible screws into the wall, window, lintel and cill, then cut through the door frame with angled cuts into the jambs, then lever the frame out without damaging the brickwork. Remove window by taking the beads out or chopping the putty off, pop glass out, and repeat the method for the removal of the door. The brickwork does not need to be touched.

Fit the new window first, level and plumb on top of a bed of silicone then fix in position with screws and plugs, or frame fixings if feeling flush. Fit the glass on top of 5mm packers, spring in beads and foam up around edges.

Lay dpc on top of a bed of silicone on the bricks, a bead of silicone on top of that, then insert the door in the opening and wedge in position so it can't fall in or out. Check the head of the frame for level, pack up if necessary, then fix the hanging side, through the frame into the brickwork with screws and plugs, or again, with frame fixings, one top, one bottom. Ensure the hinge side is absolutely spot on plumb, then fix the closing side, again one fixing top and bottom, easier to get both jambs straight as well as plumb. Pack and wedge where needed, then add two more fixings in each jamb to strengthen frame. Close door and check gaps and margins, check the lock works unhindered, adjust wedges if required, then foam up door edges. Have a cup of tea whilst waiting for the foam to go off, cut off flush, then apply a bead of silicone around every edge of the door and window frame to seal against weather. Final job is to silicone and pin a 'D' shaped moulding to cover the join between door and window.

And now my fingers about to drop off after typing all this.....

Deleted member 164349 likes this.

4. Superb, many thanks

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

No prob, if you could convince the person you're doing the job for to convert to upvc instead of timber, you could literally reduce the time taken to about a quarter, wood takes forever by comparison.

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Don't forget this all has to be done in one day, I would wait till the daylight hours are longer.

7. Yes, for a first time especially.

Its been in poor condition for more than a year, a few months isnt going to make any difference I hope.