Exterior door decoration

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Paul Otter, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Paul Otter

Paul Otter Active Member

One thing that really does me in is customers thinking that painting is easy and attempting it themselves.

I make a large bookcase for someone costing £2.7K and they think splattering a tin of Farrow and Ball over it will do it justice. I think we all know that there is a difference between a professional painter and decorator and a "have brush, will travel" in the pub.

This gets more serious when it gets to doors and complaints come in that doors have warped, people sometimes look at me agog when I tell them exterior doors need to be painted on the bottom. To this end I have decided to provide a check sheet every time I hang an exterior door, any one have any thoughts on it and what I should add or omit?

I have posted on the painters forum as well.

Thanks

1. Lightly sand door for a key including top and bottom.

2. Treat any knots with knotting solution.

3. Fill knots as required and any blemishes with two pack filler

4. Paint with exterior wood primer including top and bottom.

5. Fill any blemishes which may have been missed.

6. Sand back filler and paint one coat undercoat including top and bottom.

7. Paint second coat of undercoat including top and bottom Exterior Door Decoration.

8. Paint top coat.

2. Any chance of some photos of that bookcase, Peter? Sounds impressive :)

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

How many times have you turned up to paint a door with a clearance of between 3mm-6mm at the bottom of the door? Sounds good though but I'm not taking the door off!

4. Davmac

Davmac Active Member

Just a thought - would it not be an idea to have the guy that hangs the door paint the bottom with a sealer once its been cut to fit? :rolleyes:

Feel a p15h boil coming on :mad:

Love to see the bookcase too :)

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It's all about 'time' any deviation from hanging the door is an extra!:rolleyes:

Davmac likes this.