Exterior paintable filler for masonry?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by maclellana, Apr 30, 2014.

1. maclellana

maclellana New Member

Can anyone recommend a good exterior caulk / filler for masonry? Something that can be used for small bits of pointing that get overpainted, cracks in masonry / render etc. It would be nice if it could be overpainted soon after application too!

Ta muchly!

Andy

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hi Andy

I've used this brand on the outside of my house for similar applications to yours and its a great product - Screwfix only list the interior version so have linked via another supplier;

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Toupret+Murex+Exterior+Filler/p72427

It says paintable after 24 hours but I've frequently filled, sanded and painted within 8 ish hours

3. maclellana

maclellana New Member

Cheers! I was more thinking of something that can be applied with a gun though, to follow cracks etc. Frame sealant would probably do the job but haven't tried it on masonry. Main thing is that it's overpaintable... if that's a word. :)

Andy

4. Is this filler usable on anything eg wood as well or is it purely designed for masonry?

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

The filler in my link can be used on all substrates C Windsor - info from the box says will adhere to stone, cement, brick, plaster, tiles, glazed tiles, timber, painted surfaces both masonry and timber, and probably others (just nipped into garage to peek at the box and probably forgot a few on the way back)

Sands down fairly easily and is quick setting - 30 mins on thinnish applications. Has good anti slump abilities as well on vertical surfaces or upside down
    Box says paintable after 24 hours but you can make your own mind up about that issue

Andy - if your filling fine cracks in render, then you wont get anything into them from a gun, it will just make a mess
    Maybe the cracks are wider - can you post some photos to help

If the cracks are really fine, like hairline cracks, most of these will be filled by a descent quality masonry paint
    Fine cracks are difficult to fill, even with filler. You end up with more filler over the surrounding area and when you paint, this area shows up worse than the original crack

Anyway, a few photos would help - and good luck

6. maclellana

maclellana New Member

I'm talking about cracks / gaps that are 5-10mm so relatively easy to gun. More of a generic question really as it's something I run in to quite often (I'm a handyman) and anything to save time mixing / filling / sanding would be good! :) Odd gaps in pointing for example on a sandstone sill painted with masonry paint - I want something I can fill and paint over pretty much straight away to avoid two visits. Not big areas or anything.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Use BONDA DECOR FILL two part filler, sets in minutes.

8. maclellana

maclellana New Member

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Fills wood, metal, concrete, GRP and my car! Sands a lot easier than the Ronseal filler. Apart from a 2 part mix I do not think you will find a gunable rapid dry filler as it would cure in its container.

10. maclellana

maclellana New Member

Good to know - will give it a try! Always been impressed with the Ronseal stuff but it's pretty expensive and I get through it by the bucket.

I'm sure I've seen interior caulks that are over-paintable after 1 hour even though they're not dry yet - that would be ideal!

11. Zimmy

Zimmy New Member

Hi maclellana. _ You say an External Filler to be masonry painted ...Plus you like Ronseal ?!
    why not try.! ....Ronseal Exterior Ready-Mixed its Suitable for Virtually any Exterior Filling Job Touch Dry in 1-2hrs
    AND Screwfix stock it.! ;)

12. maclellana

maclellana New Member

'cause I was after something in a gun :). If it's out of tub I might as well use Bonda or Ronseal 2-part (which are essentially the same product as far as I'm concerned) - dry in 10 mins. Cheers for the heads up though!

13. Zimmy

Zimmy New Member

Yes.... I use this all the time.!! And 'm a Girl.! :)
    the Gun is easer for me to use ...only problem is.. even with the smallest "gaps" the filler shrinks when dry. ! :(

14. maclellana

maclellana New Member

15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Stopped using the Geocel, way too moist, shrinks back leaving a concave dip and cracks when dry.

16. maclellana

maclellana New Member

Bugger...

17. Zimmy

Zimmy New Member

Hi, Ive Just Bought 4 Large Tubes of this.!!! :)
    http://palacechemicals.co.uk/shop/ready-mixed-filler-tube/
    "Never" heard of it before...It has long................pointed nozzle >>>> ! ;)
    ( however at 99p a tube from B & M bargains) I will give it a try ?! and keep you posted on performance maclellana