Exterior Painting

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Andrewp1982, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Andrewp1982

Andrewp1982 New Member

Need some advice

I been asked to repaint the exterior entrance to a pub, but the orignal paint is an external paint, but some1 decided to paint emultion paint on top it, so my question is

Is it better to sand or use a heat gun to remove the emultion paint and get down to the wood, or to sand the emultion paint to get "a grip" for the new paint to stick to, which is Dulux Weathershield Quick Dry Exterior Gloss

Thx is advance

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Are you a professional painter?

3. Andrewp1982

Andrewp1982 New Member

more of a handy man skill level

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If the emulsion paint is sound, ie not flaking or peeling off a thorough sanding all over should do the trick, you may find that sanding will remove most of the emulsion. Wash the area to be painted with a Sugar Soap solution and rinse of with clean water, I have not used the Weathershield Q/D gloss myself but have used the Satin Q/D with no problems. Two coats should do the trick.

5. Andrewp1982

Andrewp1982 New Member

The paint is in good condition apart from when u rub some parts with ur hand u get white powder on ur hands, but I will try wut u sujest and let u kno how not went

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Ok, you will need to seal this after the sanding and washing stage, use 1 coat of Zinsser Bullseye 123, this is a sealer and high adhesion primer.