Exterior plywood

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Dutchie, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Dutchie

Dutchie New Member

Hello,

Im going to be attaching exterior grade ply to some brickwork on the front of my wife's shop. I will treat the plywood with an appropriate primer, undercoat and oil based exterior paint. The problem I have is that I was planning on screwing the plywood to the brickwork. Therefore, I will be drilling through the plywood. What's the best and quickest way to treat the hole in the plywood that I will be drilling? Unfortunately, glueing the plywood to the brickwork isn't an option.

Thank you.

2. If you are using exterior grade plywood I would not worry too much, but a coat of exterior paint in the screw hole should be more than enough.

Just don't full tighten the screws when you erect it. Then loosen a screw at a time, paint it and then tighten up. Or even a silicone sealant applied again just before fully tightening.

3. P. Gee

P. Gee Active Member

If you use the correct size screw for the hole you'll be fine, maybe use stainless screws it you're concerned. To be honest, the paint cracking and trapping water over the years is more likely to be the problem.

Deleted member 164349 likes this.
  4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If possible set the ply off the wall a tad using spacer, allowing an airflow around it, this will prevent damp on the back face from condensation.

KIAB likes this.
  5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

All off the above and a thin strip of timber glued and pinned to the edges to stop water getting into the end grain.

P. Gee and KIAB like this.
  6. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

my experiences of so called exterior grade ply haven't been that great if any part of the edge is exposed. Why ply?

7. P. Gee

P. Gee Active Member

The idea of glueing a strip around the edge is a good one, pu glue ideally, and leaving air space at the back, but ultimately it's down to maintenance as to whether it lasts.

8. Dutchie

Dutchie New Member

Thanks for all the advice folks. Much appreciated.

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

What are you thinking, tricoya? :D

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Exterior ply or not I would still give it a couple of coats of a clear wood preservative for wet rot, dry rot, insect attack etc.

P. Gee likes this.
  11. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I wasn't really, just my experiences of ply outside haven't been that great. I have a feeling that much of what is sold as "exterior grade" isn't. I have a round garden table base that a blacksmith made for me donkeys years ago. First it had a proper exterior grade ply top, and that one lasted 15 years. Since then the replacements have not done better than 3 years, despite me making it exactly the same way with supposed exsterior ply, and literally soaking the top in various preservatives. Also years ago had a shopfront myself, and the ply facade degraded very quickly.

Given a choice I would use anything but ply, unless, as chippie says, the exposed edge can be totally sealed. I guess you could use tricoya, or uPVC sheet or even waterproof cement board (sold for e.g cladding buildings).

12. P. Gee

P. Gee Active Member

Bring back enamel signs!!

13. Bertiebasset

Bertiebasset Member

If that was me, i would use Marine Ply and cover it in uPVC sheeting, as its for a shop front you want to make it look professional, clean and tidy and this is a good way to do it. If you didn't want to do that, simply coat your plywood in a preservative a few times, as others have mentioned leave it out from the wall a tad to allow air flow. Personally as its for a shop i would use the PVC method, but its your choice. whichever one you choose will suffice for your requirements.

Bertie

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

He will need a mortgage to buy marine ply :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Bertiebasset and P. Gee like this.
  15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

My now ex brother in law built a garden table top out of MDF years ago and it even had a hole in the middle for an umbrella, I didn't think it would last a year but it's been there at least 5 and has hardly blown at all, god knows what he painted it with but it would be something cheap.

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Good old CREOSOTE with engine sump oil added.....................they were the days.............:rolleyes: youngsters today ...tutttttt!

KIAB likes this.
  17. Phil the Paver

Did he like a Sunday morning fry up, well the fat had to go somewhere. :D:D:D

18. Phil the Paver

Sounds like dad's old shed. :p:p:p:p:p

Astramax likes this.
  19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The top coat was grey, probably DA's favourite. :)

20. crazyworld

crazyworld New Member

grease the screw