External door frame paint

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by MR HARRY, Oct 14, 2017.

1. MR HARRY

MR HARRY Member

Hello carpenters,

I'm building an external door frame for a shed. I was wondering if I need to paint the inside face of the door frame? The face of the wood that will touch the brick and will not be exposed. The wood is pressure treated, so is weather resistant.

I hope that makes sense. Thanks.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Not needed as timber has been tanalised, paint will not adhere to treated timber unless it has weathered for at least 3 to 6 months, the paint adhesion qualities will eventually fail within a year.

3. MR HARRY

MR HARRY Member

So will I have to wait 6 months before I paint it?

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Paint will not adhere to treated timber unless it has weathered for at least 3 to 6months, could clad it with upvc angle though.

5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

You could put some shed type preservative on it if you feel so inclined

6. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  7. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Light brown colour for the win!

snappyfish likes this.
  8. MR HARRY

MR HARRY Member

So what will happen if I try to paint it?

9. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Presume you be painting it in the near future again rather than later. I don't see that it makes a huge difference, just some people recommend waiting.

It will use less paint when weathered in slightly.

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It will flake off eventually.
    Some people prefer waiting!!!!!!!!!!!! tell the paint manufacturers their advice is wrong then!
    It won't use less paint, total nonsense!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  11. MR HARRY

MR HARRY Member

I'm using a primer if that makes any difference...

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

None!
    This has got to be a wind up!!!!!!!!!! unbelievable.... just paint it. I'm out.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  13. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I would suggest you take a look at Bedec Barn Paint - brilliant stuff

Water based, no primer or undercoat needed, minimal prep, comes in a range of colours, yes it’s a little pricy but a lovely drop of gear

Give Bedec technical advice a call and discuss the situation with them and their views on new treated timber versus Barn Paint

I’ve recommended this as it’s guaranteed to cover over wood that has been previously treated with creosote or creosote substitute and I’ve recently used it in that exact situation. It performed brilliantly but I can’t unfortunately look into the future and tell how long it will last for :eek:

Give them a call, very helpful indeed. Oh yes, they also offer FREE samples of all their paint products with some local suppliers having these freebies to hand. If not, they will pop a couple in the post to you

Let us know how you get on

14. PhilSo

PhilSo Screwfix Select

So many of them on here recently :mad:

15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

DIYDAVE, BEDEC BARN PAINT is not suitable or recommend for painting over tanalised timber read the information on the container and the data sheet.

16. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Yep apologies Astra, of course you’re 100% correct and I’m wrong - wasn’t trying to be a knob, was trying to be helpful :)

I know it’s great over timber previously treated with creosote, so thought it ‘may’ work with treated stuff. I did suggest the op checked with Bedec tech department first though

You is the Master Astra :cool:

17. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

No problem Dave, I also thought that to my cost (own job) Barny doesn't like tanalised treated timber, but I know where you were coming from. :):rolleyes:

18. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Sorry if my advice was incorrect :confused: Thanks for correcting me :D

19. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

;):)