External Door re-Paint advice please

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by oops, Mar 16, 2015.

1. oops

oops Member

Hi all, hope you are all well.

I would like to repaint & change the colour of my house wooden front door to black. It is currently painted white with Dulux weathershield. After many builders using whatever they were carrying to open the door, the paint is basically sound but with a few 'nicks' in it.

Can you please advise how & what products you would recommend to end up with a door as shiny as No 10 : )

Thanks in advance.

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Either rub down nicks or fill with 2 part filler and then re-paint with weathershield.

3. oops

oops Member

Hi Chippie, thanks for taking the time to answer.

I do like weathershield but it costs a fotune, have you successfully tried any cheaper undercoats & top coats that gave a good outcome ?

My current weathershield undercoat is white, when I change to a black door I assume I also need to purchase new weatehrshield undercoat in grey ????

Thanks for your help.

4. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

I find Dulux the best, but did buy some 'Full Gloss' black from Crown trade, very high gloss, which was also for a front door.

B J

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It certainly is expensive but the last time I looked the trade formulation was guarenteed for 8 years, yes to the grey undercoat

6. If you want your door to look like No 10's, I reckon you need to undercoat your door, sand it perfectly flat, remove it, lay it flat in a dust-free environment, de-tack it, and apply your chosen paint by spray...

An ex-colleague of mine from my kitchen-fitting days went to a trade show and oooohh'd at a stupidly glossy, mirror-finished door that was on a well-known paint manufacturer's stand - Dulux or similar.

"Blimey, that's impressive paint" he says to the cove, to which the guy confessed "If you want it that good, you need to spray it on..." :(

7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

The high gloss doors on my bathroom cabinets is sprayed on, can't imagine how you could ever get such a finish with a brush or even a roller.

8. oops

oops Member

Thanks: Chippie, Blue jacket, DA & Phil for the time taken to respond.

Spraying is not really an option - no front door whilst away spraying, idiots around my way will be off with my TV : (

If weathershield is still the best option then I had better save up my pennies.

Thanks again.

chippie244 likes this.
  9. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

:p:p:p Be off with the telly, sounds like a nice area to live, must be near me. :p:p:p

10. You will let him have the tele back when you're done with it, won't you Phil?