External Wall Fixing Dilemma!

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by stitch-up, Aug 15, 2017.

1. stitch-up

stitch-up Member

A couple of years ago we had the external walls of our property clad with thermal block helped with a European Grant. The results have been really good:
    1. Property is warmer
    2. Dreadful damp problems eliminated
    3. The external appearance much improved

The walls were clad with 100mm what I would describe as polystyrene - light weight etc. The exterior finish is a thin resin layer.

So, the dilemma I have is I'd like to attach some hanging baskets but I can't just secure them to the 100mm blocks, it would be to heavy to support them.

I'm hoping there's a solution? Someone did mention drilling a 100mm deep hole through the block and then further into the wall brick, and then inserting a 100mm stainless tube through the block back to the wall thereby avoiding crushing the block as the threaded rod is tightened into the rawlplug.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any better solution?

Thanks

John

2. I'd make up a decorative panel - round, square, whateves - from a suitable exterior material, and bond it to your outer layer using, ooh, StixAll or summat (it might need holding in place while it sets).

Then screw yer basket cases to that.

Or else do as 'someone' mentioned - that's the usual solution.

(Useful info - JJ weighs 11 stone, Phil around 16, Mr Ha a trim 10 and a half...)

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

This cladding! Is it fireproof?

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Chemical or resin anchors & threaded stud.

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Yep, that's the one. Agreed.

6. stitch-up

stitch-up Member

Wow, what a quick response - thanks to all.

@Mr Handyandy
    That's a very good question and was one of the first things I checked following the dreadful London Grenfell Tower fire. The only response I received to my question was - it confirms to EU and Building Regulations! It seems this isn't exactly clear and apparently there are varying regulations for single storey building.

I do think that bolting all the way through as suggested is the best solution so far. I've never used chemical or resin anchors before - I'll look them up.

Thanks again.

7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

If you do opt for chemical anchor make sure you brush all the dust and debris out of the holes you've drilled, don't miss this step as most folk do, as it's crucial to get the best bond possible with the chemicals so you never have any issues later on.

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

In no way am I trying to alarm you, but they said that about the Grenfell stuff.

9. Single storey - you should be ok. It's the self-made draught going up - often within the outer skin - that made for that hellish incident, I understand. On a single storey building, you'll only have a relatively gentle flame engulfing your home...

10. stitch-up

stitch-up Member

No 'chimney cavity between the thermal blocks and wall. The blocks are adhered to the wall with a resin and then plastic bolts before the final layers.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  11. With something as relatively lightweight as a hanging basket - yes I know they can still be heavy - I'd have thought that adhering a mounting board would be strong enough (totally assuming the outer skin is well bonded to the insulation, which surely it is), but obviously that still means you'd need to have this board showing, and then paint it to fit in - make it appear part of the basket bracket.

The resin stud idea is the 'correct' one. For this you'd need to either sleeve the threaded stud to the thickness of the cladding, or else you can run a nut+washer down the stud and sink it in to the surface so's it's flush - that then acts as your 'stop'.

Either way, the stud should be of a thick enough size so's not to bend under t'weight - 10mm dia?

12. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

I agree chemical/resin fixing is likely to give you the most secure anchor but find out what your cladding is before use. Some resins depending on what they are thinned or mixed with can have undesirable affects when they come into contact with polystyrene and foams ie. they melt. Generally pure epoxy should be ok with polystyrene. Additionally resins generally cure with an exothermic reaction which again can lead to melting of foam.
    Ideally the majority of resin should be passing through the cladding and be within the brickwork but i'm sure there will inevitably be a small amount of contact.