"Extra" lighting wire

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Stubbzarelli, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Stubbzarelli

Stubbzarelli New Member

I am replacing a light at the top of the stairs that is controlled by two different switches and am confused by what appears to be an "extra" wire!

It's a 1970s house so the wires are red/black/bare(earth). From the ceiling there are three sets of red/black/earth, then another wire sheathed alone in grey. Any ideas what this wire is for?

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

It there because you have two switches.

yellow wire in this pic.

twoway.jpg

The earth wire shouldn't be bare, it should have a green and yellow sleeve of over it.

3. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

What it does depends on what its connected to, it could be the switch wire for the light or a neutral or live for something else, when you say grey, is it another colour under the sheathing?

I do hope you noted what went where before you took the old light down.

4. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Most old houses have borrowed neutrals in grey single wire

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Could be extra wire for smoke alarm!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

I expect it is the switched live from the com of the landing switch. Two core cable from that switch to hall switch. Live picked up from hall switch drop.

7. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

8. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Rather than purchasing 3core and E cable, some people use T&E and a sheathed single core.