Extra Radiator in the Garage.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by harv80, Feb 23, 2017.

1. harv80

harv80 New Member

Hi, I looking for some advice. i have put some gym gear in the garage but its really cold in the winter, i would like to fit a radiator on the garage just to take the chill out of the air.

There is a radiator on the other side of the wall in the vestibule, that backs onto the garage, that is feed with 15mm pipes so i was thinking about teeing off this radiator(single panel 600mm x 500mm) with plastic 15mm plastic pipe. Unfortunately the new radiator would be located on the other side of the garage and the pipe run would be 10m flow there and 10m return back, the run would consist of running up to the attic of the garage and over to the other side where it would drop down again, this has to be done to avoid running over doors. Is this run an issue? Also what would be the Max size of radiator i could or should fit?

Thank for any advice.

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Difficult to say without seeing it but from your discription you would have air issues as you taking a feed from down low then raising it up, simple answer fit air vents at the high spots

3. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

That will be a waste of heat as it will be on ALL the time unless the garage is well insulated. Have you thought about a plinth heater - fed from the CH but radiates very little until the fan is powered up.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Halogen or ceramic wall heater.:)

5. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

work harder...it is a gym after all!

Agree with the above in that it seems like a waste to heat a garage. Is actually used as a garage that contains some gym kit or is it essentially an extension of the house? It seems like a lot of effort for the gain when you could go with a heater- potentially even turn it on with a wifi plug pre gym session or in my case it would be turn it off again from in front of the tv after deciding that doing some gym work was a ridiculous notion.

KIAB likes this.
  6. harv80

harv80 New Member

Ha!!

Thanks for the reply guys.

Yeah the garage is pretty well insulated and I am going to draft proof the garage doors.

So my real issue is basically:

1. Can I tee off another radiator?

2. The run is 10m, rising from the tee'd off radiator up into the attic of the garage and down the other side to the new radiator at normal height on the other side of the garage. Is the length of run an issue? Is the the fact the run goes up and down an issue?

Hope that makes it a bit more clear.

7. andy48

andy48 Screwfix Select

1. You can tee off another radiator. However, if the one you tee off is not directly connected to a 22mm flow and return "backbone" you may struggle to get enough heat out of it.

2. A 10M run is quite a lot for 15mm pipe, but it will probably work OK. You'll need to insulate it well or you'll lose much of the heat in the garage loft, as well as running the risk of pipes freezing. You might need to fit trace heating.

3. As dave does gas says, fit air vents at the high points in both flow and return. These need to be accessible.

4. Fit a decent TRV to the garage radiator, set fairly low so its off most of the time.

5. It will probably cost you more to run than an electric heater as its likely to be on at times when you don't need it.