extra sockets price.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by smithybora, Jan 21, 2006.

1. smithybora

smithybora New Member

How much do you guys charge to install a new ring or radial for 5 new double sockets in a kitchen. I need to add extra ones and dont want to spur off existing sockets. Want to make it all nice and neat. and do away with the the old ones and they are trunked down the wall and dont look good.

I would want them about 2 mtrs apart and chased into the wall. The consumer unit is only on the other side of the wall to the kitchen. So its just the matter of drilling through to feed the cable.

Would a radial be best for this as its going to be hard to get the cable back to make it a circuit.

thanks in advance for help.
    tony

2. Triplock

Triplock New Member

£ 10,500.00 cash

3. smithybora

smithybora New Member

Thats not a bad price. :-0

4. tellondon

tellondon New Member

Depends on alot of other things, have you got a split load RCD protected board, what size is your main earth and bonding etc etc

5. smithybora

smithybora New Member

Hi.
    I do have a split load RCD. I have 2 spaces left. the bonding is i think 8 mm. Hope that helps.

6. tellondon

tellondon New Member

No such thing as 8mm the main earth should be at least 16mm and the main bonding should be at least 10mm

7. Triplock

Triplock New Member

Smithy,

It is too much to ask for a price without seeing the jobs. A parks will carrying out an initial visual inspection of your installation, and there are probably note about 20 factors prior to quoting. Any addition or alteration to an installation is not a stand alone task, we are obliged to verify certain parameters, and make a determination of overall condition and loading prior to commencement.

Therefore, get a registered sparks in to take a look.

Triplock

8. andyspark

andyspark Active Member

If the sockets are for above the work surface for kettle toaster etc then a 20A radial would be fine.
    If they are for appliances eg washer, dishwasher etc then a 32A ring would be best. Why would it be so difficult to put a ring in?

Anyway I'll stick my neck out. £175.00. Certified and part peed. No plastering up afterwards. North of England mind!

9. andyspark

andyspark Active Member

By the way I'm not offering. Just generating some starting point. And I do agree with Triplock.

10. Triplock

Triplock New Member

That's just about there on price, but as stated, definately does not include making good, or an upgrade of earths.

Triplock

11. smithybora

smithybora New Member

Thanks guys.

Thanks triplock.

I do understand where you are coming from with all your questions. I know it might sound a simple job but i know its not and alot has to be taken into account. Just wanted a rough guide so i know what to accept when i do have people round looking at the job.

As for a ring or a radial. The only reason i brought it up was as the end socket is far away and a ring has to been returned and if all the sockets where to be chased up the wall i take it you would have to chase a cable back to the consumer unit as well. If i am wrong very sorry.

Trip lock. I have read alot of your posts and have respect for what you say. You do know stuff. I didn't mean to come across like a idot to you.

tony

12. Triplock

Triplock New Member

Thanks smithy for your comments. By the way, why not take the ring return leg from whence you came (ie back along the chasings?)

regards,

Triplock

13. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Thanks guys.

Thanks triplock.

I do understand where you are coming from with all
    your questions. I know it might sound a simple job
    but i know its not and alot has to be taken into
    account. Just wanted a rough guide so i know what to
    accept when i do have people round looking at the
    job.

As for a ring or a radial. The only reason i brought
    it up was as the end socket is far away and a ring
    has to been returned and if all the sockets where to
    be chased up the wall i take it you would have to
    chase a cable back to the consumer unit as well. If i
    am wrong very sorry.

Trip lock. I have read alot of your posts and have
    respect for what you say. You do know stuff. I didn't
    mean to come across like a idiot to you.

tony

tony

The cables are run next to each other in a ring circuit if thats what is confusing you. A pair of cables originates at the mcb and the cable runs are in the same channel/chase. btw £175 is a good price if you can get it. I would charge more :)

UP

14. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

That price is OK if you have no outgoings...

1 to 1 and 1/2 days labour (thats the 175 written off even before I would start)

Five double sockets
    Five back boxes
    Roll 2.5
    grommetts,plugs,screws capping,capping nails

£175 quid get real!

15. andyspark

andyspark Active Member

1.5 days. What time do you start. 10.30
    A roll of 2.5. I don't know if thats 50M or 100M but it must be a damn big kitchen considering the cu is on the other side of the wall. Either that or you have a lot of waste!

I based £175 on 1 days labour at £150. Crabtree sockets WITH backboxes work out at £2 each when bought in bulk.
    £15 for cable etc.

Go on then. £200 tops.

16. weasel

weasel Member

Yes I would say £40 a point. Therefore 5 sockets would amount to £200 anyway. +the mcb!

17. baldelectrician.com

baldelectrician.com Well-Known Member

I would say £45 max per point lowering to £25-30 for multiple points/ ease of install.

p.s. Price varies according to customers attitude

18. hertssparky

hertssparky New Member

£200 ??? Are you lot Polish and just over here for a fast buck? £250 minimum + VAT will get you a proper job done.

19. andyspark

andyspark Active Member

thats because your from herts!

20. smithybora

smithybora New Member

Thanks for all the help guys.

I understand now about the return feed for the ring circuit. Must of had a bump on the head.

Dont mind paying more for a better job.

thanks again.