Extractor fan

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Stephen H, May 26, 2017.

1. Stephen H

Stephen H New Member

I’ve recently moved house and there is an extractor fan in the attic however it is currently wired into the main supply with a switched box meaning to turn on the fan we’d need to go up into the attic and switch it on and off every time.

I would like to wire it so that when the lights on the ensuite are switched on, the fan will come on. There is currently a heated mirror in the ensuite which is wired so that it only comes on when the lights are switched on (the picture below refers).

Is it simply a matter of running a wire from the terminal where the wires for the mirror go to the switched box at the fan so the switching on of the lights powers the fan or are there any issues with wiring the fan this way?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Fan 1.JPG

2. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Yes, move the live to the fan onto the same (switched live) connection as the mirror.

One question: is the fan one with a timer?

One observation. That lot of conections that are in the photo. I hope that they were all enclosed in a nice box? If they aren't then they jolly well must be!

3. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Stephen ,is the fan actually on the same circuit ? exercise caution please ,the fact that someone has installed the fan switch in the loft says a lot about their mentality. it could be spur from a power circuit.by the way the markings on photo look wrong , the left grey t/e is switched live and the right is the circuit cable.and as bazza said should be enclosed.

4. Stephen H

Stephen H New Member

Thanks for your replies guys. No there's no timer with the fan as far as I know, it doesn't stay on once switched off. Am not too worried about it staying on after it is switched off, just want it working as the room steams up really quickly when the shower is on as it only has a small window.

The connections aren't enclosed, should I be worried?! The connections are for 4 LED ceiling lights.

The fan is currently wired into the main supply per below.

Quite right Terry re markings on the photo.
    Fan 2.JPG

5. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

looks like an old ceiling rose, with an awful lot of cables ,7 is it ? anyway all connections MUST be terminated in non combustable enclosures , any spark/ arcing could start a fire so you need to attend to it asap. any chance of photo of fan switch / other end of cable ?

Bazza likes this.
  6. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

you mentioned had recently moved in to property,did you get electric installation checked by spark ?? from what little I have seen I think it would be wise ,I shudder to think what else may be lurking.

7. Stephen H

Stephen H New Member

Don't have a photo Terry but one of the cables from the ceiling rose goes into a switched socket and then into the fan unit.

I think getting a spark in to check installations could be a wise move...

8. sirclip

sirclip New Member

I'm new to forum so this may not be relevant to subject,can someone tell me why there is so much fuss regarding in line extractors with run on timer and fusing at 3amp.surely a 3 pole fused isolater can be fitted,if this protects the load side would this not suit as supply is perm live and switch live from light fitting,am I missing something.