Extractor ideas please...?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Sidney twineham, May 4, 2015.

1. Sidney twineham

Sidney twineham New Member

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and said hi to all earlier, hello again to all...

I need to ask for help. We are currently having an unfinished extension completed.

However, we are having an island put in the middle of our kitchen. Unfortunately the area of roof above has a step into the void above the centre of the island and hob, not allowing the fitting of a normal extractor unit directly over the hob.

Does anyone have any ideas on how we can fit some kind of extractor into this area, without fitting one of the pop up types costing over a grand? Ideally we would still like an extractor direct above the hob, but as the ceiling is uneven I have no ideas.

Thanks in advance,

Sidney (not very DIY savvy!)

2. Hi Sidney.

I cannot visualise what your roof looks like - any chance of a photo?

And, what style of kitchen are you going for?

And and, if you manage to get a 4" vent pipe (even a flexi one) through that ceiling, will it then be fairly easy to take it to an outside ext - like through the eaves or via a vent roof tile?

Anyways, with not knowing that info, I'd have thought a possibility would be to make your own canopy - the usual design of a flared funnel shape over the hob going up to a chimney part which will then go to the ceiling.

If you are going 'country kitchen' style, then this should be an easy task - the shape could even be made in 6mm ply, with V-groove timber cladding fitted over it, with a neat timber trim around the edges. This could then be painted in any of the typical 'c-k' colours - cream, moss, sage, parsley, fennel...

And a normal extractor fan installed inside. Along with a built-in LED lamps all around its perimeter.

3. Sidney twineham

Hi DA,

Many thanks for your informative reply. I have attached the only picture I have of the extension, I'm currently overseas until the weekend.

As you look at the rear ground floor extension the roof raises upwards, therefore giving a part vaulted ceiling as it reached the house. The work begins tomorrow, starting with a new tiled roof, including 2 x velux windows. The island would position directly under where the new roof meets the existing kitchen ceiling (different heights).

I'm not too good on this DIY malarkey, so please bear with me!

Regards,

Sidney

Attached Files:

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A few photo's please, also height of the kitchen.
    Downdraft extractor are expensive, there are cylindrical island hoods available, about 400mm diameter, which recirculate pointless in my opinion or vent to the outside, you can also get chandelier extractor hoods, don't see them that much over here, again some recirculate others vent outside.

As DA said, you need space for 4" pipe,some hoods use 6" pipe, even retangular ducting might fit.

5. Ah, so what you have is a gently sloping roof :).

I think you'll find that many canopy extractors will have provision for coping with this, and certainly any kitchen fitter worth his salt could easily cut the chimney part to match the roof line, if necessary adding a neat trim around it where it butts the ceiling.

I mean, many canopy 'flues' need trimming for height anyway, so cutting it at an angle is no great extra ask.

But, they ain't cheap.

ABSOLUTELY run that 4" ducting NOW and vent it to the eaves or through a vent tile. Also run a cable (1.5T&E would be fine, I'd have thought) to that position in the ceiling.

6. Sidney twineham

DA and KIAB,

Many thanks for your replies, really helpful. Before this, our lass and I were a bit worried about it all. It sounds like there are simple solutions to this issue.

Thanks again,

Sidney

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Use 6" ducting, a lot of cooker hoods recommend that size nowadays.
    You can always step down to 4"pipe at extracator end with a reducing adaptor, also you find the hood will run quiter with the larger ducting.

I have a Bosch here, they recommend 6" for optimum performance, but they included a 6" to 4" reducer.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Also tape the joints, I used some aluminmum tape that was hanging around, insulate the ducting, it will make it quieter, & stop the warm air from cooling & forming condensation & mould in the ducting.
    Put a slight fall on ducting to the outside, & make sure it's well supported or you' ll get it humming.
    Found that out the hard way, might be just my bad luck,ended up ripping down the ceiling to put in some extra support.
    Used some metal herringbone stuts cover with some foam pads,fixed between the joists for it to sit on, & then large cable ties to hold it all ducting in place.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  9. Sidney twineham

Thanks again. It's been a real held joining this forum.

10. snezza30

snezza30 Member

Don't even contemplate putting in 4" (100mm) ducting, no matter what shape it is...!!!!!

No matter what make of Island Extractor you choose, Ceiling, Downdraft, it doesn't matter, it will definitely require bigger ducting than 100mm. 125mm would be the minimum size to fit but I would recommend 150mm as that is the size the majority of manufacturers stipulate. The Extractor hood will work far more efficiently, be far quieter and most importantly, you will not in-validate the manufacturers warranty.

A recirculating hood of any description fitted above an Island configuration, is a complete waste of time & money.

Snezza.

11. Oops - my bad. I'm still in the 20th century with spec'ing 4" :(

Pleased we could have helped, Sidney.

12. cookerhoodman

cookerhoodman New Member

Hi
    Perhaps you should see the luxair hoods, they have very good info about all kitchen extractors, very helpful i must say, not the cheapest but seem to know all about extraction, seems all thier hoods can use ducted or filtered using charcoal filters.
    www.luxairhoods.com

13. James Lewis

James Lewis New Member

I need this too - we have massive problems! but very little space, what can I use that will be more powerful?

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Need more details, but use 150mm ducting, nothing smaller, or rectanglar ducting again equivalent to 150mm or larger.