Facia hex clay tiles are they just roof tiles?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by demoguy, Jul 11, 2013.

1. demoguy

demoguy Member

Hi

I have 1970s semi timber framed house has Hex tiled facia notice few tile missing under the lead flashing and idea where i can get replacements see attached photo I have new windows going in in a few weeks and new lead flashing so would like to replace the odd few tiles have ask local roofers and most don't wanna know job to small for them ?? tempted to cut wooden ones and seal them then paint then you wont see them as under the flashing Any ideas guys please ?

[​IMG]

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

They are square at the top.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

3. MrGrimNasty

MrGrimNasty New Member

They are known as arrowhead plain tiles. Still available new or from reclamation yards or ebay.
    If you take one off you will be able to see if it is clay or concrete, smooth or sand faced etc. and there may be a makers stamp - Redland etc.
    It would probably be less hassle to replace the top row of tiles with ordinary square plain tiles and leave the new flashing square and flush with the bottom of those.

4. demoguy

demoguy Member

Thanks guys has helped a lot i understand more now about what i'm looking at up there,
    I'm in my 60s so not easy climbing ladders these days But I feel better about doing the job myself now.
    thanks again

Is there anyway these tile can be re stained or painted as they are looking a bit worn ?

5. MrGrimNasty

MrGrimNasty New Member

If you give them a good scrub down with some fungicidal wash, then when dry,
    use any masonry paint in any colour you like or bitumen paint (horrid stuff) in any colour as long as it's black.
    You can slap the latter over any lead flashing too if you really want!

Painted bricks/tiles can look a bit naff though, especially if neighbouring houses make it stick out like a sore thumb,
    and they need re-painting every few years, because once they start to flake it's a right mess.