Factory restore Win 7

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Hi all.

I have a wee Packard Bell 'all-in-one' PC that's used as a second pooter, and it's bludy slow.

I think it should be 'ok' if running properly as it's Intel i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz, 4 GB RAM so not amazing but not totally pathetic either?

Bought 2nd hand, and I've removed all unnecessary software, but the hard drive (split into 'two') still shows a massive amount of carp in there that I don't even know what it is so am reluctant to delete it in bits.

(It says "Packard Bell C: 321 GB free of 458 GB" and "DATA D: 114 GB free of 458 GB")

The thing is, I hardly keep any files on it - just a few photos and docs, so why there's seemingly over 300GB of 'data' defeats me.

Anyhoo, it takes a bludy age to start up, and is sluggish even after it does - often freezing with a 'shockwave is busy' barlocks message. The harddrive can be heard chattering away for many minutes even after it finally 'gets going'.

So, I want to zap it back to factory settings and start again afresh.

It has a legit version of Win 7 on it (with code) but I have no disc for reinstalling. So, what is the best thing to do?

Is there a factory restore option that doesn't lose the OS? The only other thing of value on it is Office 2010, but I do have that disc so should be ok.

Best approach, folks?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2016
  2. Och, it's ok - YouTube is my friend :)

"Return your computer to factory conditions" will wipe all the carp and automatically reinstall the Win7 afresh.

Och, can't wait to see it whiiizzzzzzzzzz... :rolleyes:

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You will have to manually install all updates since the original install :eek::eek::eek::eek:

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I think you will need a 'recovery partition' or a 'backup' or an install disc to do it.

Oh AND install all the updates again, as above.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

And,,, Re-setting to factory settings means the massive amount of carp already on there will be kept in a different partition (just in case you still need to access said carp) ;);) The only true way to do it is to format the HDD, thus removing everything off it. Sadly this will mean having a copy of an original Win7 installation disk c/w the code.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

'cos we all kept our product codes...

8. joinerjohn1

Hmmmm might work, as long as the code on DA's machine matches the downloaded version of Win7 (yes there are manufactures OEM licence variants out there.) ;);)

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Should be perfectly ok, done it several times download a ISO Windows 7 file, (Handyandy linky) as long,as you have a legit key you will be ok.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

11. Oooh, thanks gents. :)

Excellent link, Mr Ha - I'll def get that downloaded first (I'm pretty sure the code is legit).

I'll check these out too, KIAB.

Yes, that might be true, JJ - a bit like deleting files, they don't really 'delete'. But, they are kind of 'dismissed' so will be written over in time? The YouTube vid showed the PC going back to the 'out of the box' condition.

Yes, I know there will be a lot of updating of service packs, drivers, and security and sh*, but I quite like doing that as I can be choosy about what goes on - and this one will be the bare min.

(One reason why I'm staying with Win 7 and not upgrading to 10 is that is has WMC and the li'l Packard has a built in TV tuner. I hate all the 3rd-market TV/vid players.)

Cooool - looking forward now :D :) ;) :( :oops: o_O

12. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Is there a hot key combination on boot up that gives you the option to restore to factory conditions from a hidden partition containing the relevant files?.
    Google the machine model etc and see what it brings up.

13. Could be, but the YT vid showed a simple method using the normal features.

14. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

Just find the carp and throw it back. You can find out what's using it, and can use a carp cleaner.

15. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Download Glary utilities
    and Superantispyware

Run both.
    Use Glary to view Startup menu.
    Dont run two antivirus at same time.(eg. norton plus others)
    defrag both disks(takes some time.........)
    see how that goes....
    RS

16. Cheers, Retired.

Since it's a 2nd-hand pooter and the DATA drive was nearly filled with stuff that didn't make sense, there was only one way to go with this one - restore.

Which I've done.

Painless. But it only restored the C: drive which had the OS and other software on it.

So I deleted partition D: which freed up its 458GB - but left it sitting in limbo...

So I did that lonesome 458GB a favour and called it D: Data again. So I have the D: [artition wot is empty :)

So, a hoppin' computer with TONS of empty space.

(Struggling to get my Office 2010 installed again tho' (it's chust a code, no actual disc) as I can't remember my MS account logon details. Or perhaps it's still under the original owner's - I dunno...)

17. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

If you fancy splashing out a bit of cash, Office 365 personal might be worth looking at, you would get latest office software for around £5 month. It also gives you a 1Tb onedrive account, so full cloud backups etc

18. £5 a month?!!!!

Man, you must be choking...:eek:

All I use is the odd 'Word' and 'Outlook'. That's it.

And 'cloud' ma botty.

Anyhoo, it's a legit copy, so I'll find out how to reinstall it.

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

20. joinerjohn1

KIAB likes this.