Fair price?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by sidetracked, Sep 25, 2016.

1. sidetracked

sidetracked New Member

Hi All, I am a semi retired sparks. I am having a new kitchen fitted (ikea supplied and fitted, it had to be ikea as i am having a quartz worktop and they wont guarantee it if they don't fit)
    This is a quote for supp works.
    I have attached a few pics. you can see the dishwasher on the left. Its states pipe will either be chopped in or under plinth (i am pretty sure they will be under the plinth). The cupboard round the boiler has already been included in the fitting price but it will need to be customized. is this a fair price for the work and materials? seems a bit hefty but am i out of touch?
    PS I inherited the down light holes and i am swapping them for fire rated as we speak :cool: I am in Hertfordshire.

Alter pipework to integrated dishwasher (to be chopped into the wall or fitted under the units) •Alter hot and cold pipework under existing unit and bury pipework into wall for kitchen sink •Customise two units for boiler and pipework
    Labour £285.00 + VAT
    Materials £189.00 +VAT

WP_20160917_18_11_53_Pro.jpg WP_20160925_19_02_17_Pro.jpg WP_20160925_19_02_36_Pro.jpg

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Difficult without knowing what they mean by "customisation" but the materials seem a bit expensive

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Labour sounds like a combined day rate for a fitter/carpenter and plumber, whilst the materials sound suspiciously like they're charging you for the boiler cupboard twice. Ask them to clarify what materials you'd be paying for.

4. sidetrack

sidetrack New Member

Hi
    Thanks for the replies, done sone digging, the cabinet 'customisation is £60 so its £225+vat labour for the plumbing and £189+vat for bits ...
    this is on top of the traps and waste i have already purchased.

5. They are really trying to rip you off by trying to charge £226.80 inc vat for a few plumbing bits.
    A bundle of copper 10 lengths in screwfix is £58.00.A bag of 300 endfeed fittings is £90.00.
    10 length of 40mm waste pipe is £40.00.
    This adds up to £188.00 with £38.80 left for waste and miscellaneous fittings.

Are they ordering plumbing bits for every kitchen in the street?

6. sidetrack

sidetrack New Member

Hi Deleted member 11267
    thats the labour the bits were £189+Vat!

7. £189.00 plus vat at 20% equates to £226.80 which I said in my previous post.
    I was trying to show an example of the amount of plumbing materials you can get for what you are getting charged.
    They are trying to over charge on plumbing bits big time.

8. sidetrack

sidetrack New Member

Sorry, yes my apologies, very close to the labour charge, when i asked for a breakdown i got this reply , I then asked, OK how did you arrive at £189+vat. I am in a rock and a hard place as they are due to fix in a weeks time..

The parts would include, soldered elbows, tees, pipe, clips, sockets, M&F elbows. Compression elbows, compression sockets, male Iton to copper fittings, compression isolation valves, stop tap.
    Waste pipe elbows, waste pipe tees, waste pipe sockets, traps, clips pipe and any sundries including solder, flux, pastes, grease, PTFE tape, screws, plugs. As to the amount I really couldn't say, I'm not being awkward in any way, but it's impossible.

9. DaveF

DaveF Active Member

Really? Does anyone actually believe that they have added up the individual cost of all those items? If he is using soldered joints and compression fittings then why has he added the cost of solder, lol. Seriously? The cost of solder?! No, I mean they have just dreamt up a figure and it's way too high, then made a nice big long list to seem like you are getting value for money. There is no way the items he has mentioned adds up to anything like £190+VAT. That's an outrageous amount for the fittings involved.

10. At the end of the day they are trying to charge you £496.80 inc vat to reconnect a kitchen sink and dishwasher.