Fair wage?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Jamie K, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Jamie K

Jamie K New Member

Hello everyone
    I am a newly qualified carpenter I finished my apprenticeship 2 months ago and I'm still waiting for my papers to come in the post. I would like to ask peoples opinions of a fair wage for me. I'm not the fastest chippie in the world but i am certainly not the slowest, i am a hard worker too, and i know i can truthfully say that my work is of a good standard. I've got just over 3 years experience in building and although there is plenty more to learn i do know a lot, to the point where I almost always work on my own or have the new apprentice to help me out. On the extension I'm on at the moment i have done everything carpentry wise myself and lots of other bits too like the groundworks. I have my own van and almost all the tools i need. I am on £90 a day which at the moment i can stand but when my papers come i will expect a pay rise which is fair i think? How much should i ask for? The regular subbies we have are always telling me I deserve more. I live in the south east but not london.

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Between 130 & 140 should be the rate to aim for, if not a bit more, but don't be to greedy otherwise you might find yourself unemployed.

3. Jamie K

Jamie K New Member

Cheers mate

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

It all depends what you can do and how good you are. I know carpenters who've ten years experience and they'd dream of 140 a day, but then I live in south wales so rates could be very different. If you've only got 3 years experience in carpentry I'd bite my tongue a while longer, as it's no good expecting a certain wage and the supervisor asks you to cut a hip roof on, or fit double winder stairs and you may or may not be stumped. Doesn't look great then on your own ability, even if you can do other work to a good standard. Having a van and all the kit is a good bargaining chip though.

5. Finding your price is the biggest mystery in the world.

As self employed, pitching the right price to get the work, or not.

As an employee, to keep the job or not.

Can you get a better price elsewhere is always a good comparison to make, and let your employer know. But be warned, he might let you go if you want it.

Play fair, work well, negotiate within your limits.

Joe95 likes this.
  6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

As Jord says rates down here is South Wales vary from £100. However, as you know the same guy could get several hundred more in London and the home counties but some poorer places in Kent it is a struggle.

The one good thing on your side is that you are being honest about your skills, experience and expectations. It goes along way in this day and customers and contract managers will respect that.

Hope your successful when you head off on your own, the first few years are the hardest but then once your business and reputation grows it gets easier

Joe95 likes this.
  7. Jamie K

Jamie K New Member

Thanks everyone

8. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

I looked at setting up base around the Cardiff area but the rates weren't that great. Going in the opposite direction increased earning by probably £300 or more a week.

If you ever decide to go it alone it is always worth drawing a maximum radius you are willing to travel around your house and see what locations are in that catchment area. I've found that there can be a big disparity in earnings in as little as 10 miles distance.

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Depends which areas of Cardiff you work in - Whitchurch, PentreBane etc. can charge what you like - especially if you speak properly not "Tidy init"

Joe95 and longboat like this.
  10. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

Very true, I wasn't thinking of domestic work as I don't do much of that. (Oh and I'm originally from Rhiwbina). ;)

11. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Quite right old chap, get a foot in the door in Cyncoed (and Rhiwbina) and away you go, rather spiffingly! :) Sadly, I don't have my foot in said door yet so have to settle for sporadic private work outside of the classy areas mixed with sitework. Tidy though innit butt!! :rolleyes:

12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Daughter lives in Whitchurch, if I had any capacity I would have endless work from her neighbours and friends

13. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

It is a nice area to work (and drink) in, Miss Jones in the main street a particular favourite for a beer and watch the bands.

14. Steve Banks

Steve Banks New Member

Can I give a small suggestion? If you are undecided on your day rate perhaps you can break it into type of jobs let's say you are pretty good in installing stairs, have the most experience in and can do it for a shorter amount of time, so this could be your 120£ per day even if it does take you less than a day to complete. On the other hand if you have less experience in other like laying down a new subfloor then best to ask for less.