Farronheit

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by longboat, Jun 14, 2017.

1. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

The heat generated when religion and politics clash appears to be more than Timothy can handle.
    After relentless questioning he choked on his statement "I like gays sex".... "Err, hold on"..:D

Now, his Christian beliefs come before all and he can't lie anymore, so he's quit.

Good riddance.

2. Too much of a lightweight - coupled, as you say, with being intellectually crippled by religious belief.

There should be NO room whatsoever for religion in politics.

Or schools.

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Yes it shouldn't be in either.
    But using it as an excuse for not being up to the job is just sad, it was clear after the election that peeps just didn't think the same way as him.
    Now all we need is Corbyn to realise this and except that he didn't win and the Tories didn't lose.

4. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Brian Paddick resigned a few hours earlier, citing the leaders views. Hmmmm.

5. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Yep, he tried pandering that his religiousnessss granted him virtuousnessss and the people replied, "meh", now his religious beliefs are forcing him to resign because his con-trick failed.
    What a complete cop-out.

Corby is as stubborn as they come, no way he'll ever admit to losing the election.
    The 50ft high posters of his face are not bearing down on every citizen yet, thank god.

6. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Tim who??

7. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

Labour won seats. The Conservatives lost seats.
    ...but that's not the point.

In our political system it's all about the majority. The majority's the game, the whole ball of wax.
    The Conservatives lost the majority. They had something and they lost it.

Perhaps you object to the verb? The tories didn't lose the majority, they've misplaced it? Mislaid it?

Or maybe you would prefer this to be a safe space? Does the word "lose" hurt your feelings?
    Awww...Phil, shall we find something more politically correct for you?
    How about the Conservative party are "majority challenged" or "differently governing", does that make you feel more comfortable?

8. Tee-hee - our uber-balanced btiw2 has unwittingly become the most sarcy member of this forum :D.

And I'm lovin' it.

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Tim Farrgone

10. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Screwfix Select

I'm not a LibDim by any means but I do have to say I'm impressed by Tim Farron's stance on religion and gay marriage.

11. Phil the Paver

What we've got here is a failure to use the correct words.

I said "The Tories didn't LOSE" and I think that's correct, they got the most votes so in turn that makes them the winners.

Now you use the word LOST, now they LOST the majority of seats but didn't LOSE the election.

Corbyn on the other hand thought he had somehow won????? ( more deluded than your average remoaner).

12. joinerjohn1

Ahh the MP for Westmorland and Lonsdale. That last, greatest bastion of heterosexuality... I do wonder if he's the only straight chap in the village. :D:D:D:D

13. joinerjohn1

That's because he was taught maths by his ex lover.

14. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

Aww bless, aren't you precious?

Yes, that's right Phil, they're winners really.
    They won the opportunity to make new friends in parliament, isn't that nice?

Come on everybody, let's form a circle of acceptance around Phil.
    A circle where he can express himself without be made to feel uncomfortable about the Conservative party's result or his inability to recognize the past participle of the verb "to lose".

I thought June was the wrong time of year for snowflakes.

Seriously though (and much to DA's disappointment I don't think light teasing is helpful):
    The Conservative party did lose the only thing worth having in our parliament - a majority.
    Why do you think Mrs. May looks so sad?
    Why did she apologize to "the 22"? You think she apologized for winning?!

No-one is saying that the Labour party have a majority, but now they only need a few Tory rebels in order to kneecap[1] any vote.

Do you remember the Major government of the early 90s and the constant Conservative infighting over Europe during his government?
    The constant rebellions and John Major having to fight tooth and nail to get anything done[2]?
    The Maarstricht rebels[3]?
    John Major even started with a slim majority. That Major government is what Mrs. May's world of "win" will look like: Every. Vote. An. Uphill. Struggle.

However, I'm pleased with the result of the election.
    I believe that less government is generally a good thing.
    I think governments with strong majorities are often bad governments.
    Whether it's Mrs. Thatcher with the poll tax, or Tony Blair with the Iraq war - a strong majority means that a prime minister can propose something stupid and still whip it through.
    If the government has an idea that isn't stupid (don't laugh, it could happen) then it should[4] be able to get enough cross party support to pass it on its own merit.

So, for me, when every party loses - I win.
    I recognize that mine is not a common position. Many British people (well, English anyway) want a "strong government".
    Perhaps many of the British people just like being dominated by "strong leaders", however I'll leave the whole "being dominated" thing to backbenchers.

[1] That's odd, I wonder why that metaphor came mind.
    [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Major_ministry
    [3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maastricht_Rebels
    [4] Should, but won't. I suppose it's our own fault for voting for MPs that act like contrarian children.

15. [QUOTE="btiw2, post: 1517461, member: 167636"

However, I'm pleased with the result of the election.
    I believe that less government is generally a good thing.
    I think governments with strong majorities are often bad governments.
    Whether it's Mrs. Thatcher with the poll tax, or Tony Blair with the Iraq war - a strong majority means that a prime minister can propose something stupid and still whip it through.
    If the government has an idea that isn't stupid (don't laugh, it could happen) then it should[4] be able to get enough cross party support to pass it on its own merit.

So, for me, when every party loses - I win.
    I recognize that mine is not a common position. Many British people (well, English anyway) want a "strong government".
    Perhaps many of the British people just like being dominated by "strong leaders", however I'll leave the whole "being dominated" thing to backbenchers.

.[/QUOTE]

I agree with that.

I didnt want a Corbyn led weak labour Government, nor a Tory majority, and no way were the liberals even considering being able to do anything.

Ukip have imploded (a 1 person, 1 policy party if there ever was 1) and have done the country a favour by doing so.

So what we have got is a Government that has got to bend over backwards to please enough people to get support for any action it wants to do. Nothing extreme is possible. Brexit surely has to be now a multi party consultation that will avoid doing as much damage as was initially feared.

I dont like the DUP having the deciding votes, there policies are more related to those religious people that seem to upset those people who are now clinging to the idea of a Tory majority, but the fact they need to be considered means all policies will have to be well thought out, for a change

16. Phil the Paver

17. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

I don't think (old) jokes prove anything JoT.

18. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

But everyone... big round of applause to DA for not insulting people's educational background based on their voting preference in the last election eh?
    He's getting restrained and respectful in his dotage.