Farronheit

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by longboat, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

That's such a biased article, young people only voted for Labour because they were brainwashed it to believing that Corbyn could pull the rabbit out the hat and give them a free ride on the great university train, nothing more nothing less.

Amazingly though even with the young vote, Labour only pulled in about 2/3 the number of votes compared to the number that voted to leave the EU.

2. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Yet you still voted for the UK to remain tied to a form of governmental beurocracy that we (the plebs) have almost no say in.
    Well, we do get thrown the opportunity to voice our opinion every half century or so, but that's all it looks like being at the moment. An opinion.
    Yeah, you did include the 'generally' clause, but why would you make an exception for the ever increasing powers of the European experiment?

3. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

I don't accept the premise of the question. I don't see that European regulations are particularly overreaching. All international agreements involve some level of standardisation and compromise. We lost a little sovereignty when we agreed to abide by the Geneva convention- and we received something in return (others agreed too).

It would be disingenuous of me to pretend there weren't some (even many) vanity European projects. I despair at those too.

I don't subscribe to DA's "brotherhood of man" thing - for me it was just about the economy.

In my daily life, at home and business, European regulation has very little effect on me compared to U.K. policies, and I received much more in return.

I voted in every MEP election. I have no idea where the fifty year number comes from - do you mean the referendums?

4. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Sometimes, I read things on here and I honestly believe that there is a parallel universe to the one I inhabit. It's a world where the Labour Party won the general election and now govern our country, it's a world where although we voted to leave the EU what we really meant is that we desperately want to stay in, and Hillary (the crooked thief) is President of the United States.

Please, young educated people and older ones alike, stand back for a moment and take a look at yourselves, your starting to look a little silly.

longboat likes this.
  5. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

You said you believed that "less government was generally a good thing" and yet you condone the premise of more government, one we have miniscule control over, at that.
    What does being a signatory of the Geneva convention grant us, or take away? I really can't see any comparison.
    Campaign against the current, or opposition government in the British-Isles, by all means, if that's what you want, and maybe enough support will be added to that which will make a difference?
    The humble beginnings have sneakily brought about a parliament (to appear democratic), a currency, laws and the courts to uphold them, and the beginnings of an army.
    What more does a state need?
    How do you think the, EU will progress over the coming decades?
    Will it effect you in twenty years time? Are all member states being slowly driven towards mere rubber stamp issuing regions that kick up a futile fuss every now and then?

I think they are.

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

That is because you are a mean minded, bigoted git. Just saying. :):)

7. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Parallels with the Roman Empire I would have thought (swap Roman for Germanic). But look what brought about the demise of the roman empire, ouch!, we have a habit of not learning from history.

8. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

I don't see what the problem is, if the 'church' wants to send out the message that only couples of different gender are allowed to consumate their vows under their roof, so be it. Go to a registry office and sign the contract there.
    That's all it is, a legally binding contract after all.
    Jeez.

9. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Perhaps Corby will cast you forth out of the caged squallor that you currently reside.
    The government is to blame for your shortcomings, blasted Tories.
    Sit back and hope someone else makes me rich?
    Vote Labour.

10. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

I don't want no government (I'm not PJ the anarchist). I think the benefits are much higher than the small amount of government it costs. As I said, the EU Government has very little effect on me.

My point is that every international agreement means we have to abide by rules. What? You think there aren't WTO rules if (God forbid) we have to fall back on those?

I just don't buy the European superstate alarmist fantasy that's often used, because I see no real evidence for it. I'm not a fan of the eurozone, but that's not us so it'd be a different debate.

Bear in mind, I only really view this through an economic lens. I like the economic benefits. I do see the benefits. Anything that reduces business friction is to be embraced. We haven't even left the EU yet, and I already dislike the way Brexit is hitting inflation, consumer confidence and the exchange rate. It's not a surprise. The only real surprise was that the British consumer managed to keep spending for a year before realising that the was a problem.

I recognise that 52% of the population has issues with EU immigration from which I'm insulated. I like numbers, data, but I can't really apply data to how the majority of UK citizens "feel" about EU immigration- so, even though it may make us poorer I have to reluctantly accept the majority decision.

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Not entirely sure what you're trying to say here, I own a nice 3 bedroom house with a 100' garden in a lttle village in Herts, my shortcomings are down to myself and I support myself and my children.
    I do believe only the heartless or stupid working class vote tory, I understand why the rich vote for them.

12. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Why 'God forbid', the EU have been working on a free trade agreement with Japan since 2013, they might (they might not) conclude it in 2017, I somehow doubt it.
    I for one choose Makita tools over Bosch or De Walt, cheaper, and arguably better quality. That's without a free trade agreement, so..?

And no doubt George Soros and hedge funds everywhere are making money hand over fist, oh how the 'markets' love a bit of uncertainty. The pound plunged the other day when Jeremy Corbyn 'won' the uk elections, why's that, surely it should have soared to the heavens.

13. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

Glossing over my name being brought into a thread I've had nowt to do with.... :D
    I'm chipping in :)

Now that Farron has gone the rumours are already starting about the liberals coming to a deal with the Tories.
    It has dumbfounded me and I'll even say, angered me that so many self professed left minded people joined in with the tactical voting rubbish. Seemingly intelligent people campaigning to get others (labour/green supporters) to vote liberal in seats where the liberals had got more votes than labour in 2015.
    The liberals currently sit in the right wing authoritarian quadrant of the political compass.......and self professed left wing libertarian people not only voted for but urged others to vote for....the liberals.....words fail me. Especially as the Libcon coalition was like yesterday in political terms!

Had this utter madness not taken place there is a real chance that the proportion of seats returned would have looked different. The proportion of total votes too.

Who knows, perhaps the total votes cast for labour and the conservatives would have been at rough parity? It's not as if they're a million miles away anyway.

Why would that be important? Because it would have reopened the debate on proportional representation in a big way and pr is the very first teeny step from here to something approaching democracy.

And, this tactical crud has played a part in giving the liberals enough seats to form an agreement with the Tories and get a majority......and so called left wing libertarians enabled it.

Deleted member 164349 likes this.