Fascia advice

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by mickc, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Oh, and as I said, I've replaced(properly) many of these cheaper options(chunky board onto rafters) and I've SEEN why they fail. I know why they fail.
    My installations DO NOT FAIL. Never had a case.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

2. Biffo

Biffo Member

3/4 ply fitted to both sides of rafter , shaped so the bottom edge is a soffit line , jumbo board fixed to ply 4 60 mm jumbo pins not going anywhere,,, easy !!! your doubling the work Mr h and the weight

3. Mr. Handyandy

Biffo, that's one reason.

4 large polypins at each rafter? That's gonna look like a nissan hut. AND you can't guarantee all the pins will make a good fixing.
    Now on your jumbo board you have the complete weight/load of all the eave tiles(fascia must provide the kick-up) and hold up all those tiles. In addition, the same fascia will need to take the weight of the guttering(wait till it fills up with rubbish and water).

Fitting timber fascia first(as original) all the timber takes all the weight/load. Only weight added is a length of 9mm uPVC fascia--nothing substantial then.
    Yes, it is more work, but it's a proper job.

No kidding, you can rip those chunky boards down by hand, gutter with it. Try that with timber, fascia pinned to the timber, guttering screwed to the timber, corners pinned through to timber!

I know I've done a good job.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

right so i will do the reveal as you haven't got a clue, the fascia board is not nailed into the old rafters it is nailed into the sprockets that are screwed into the good timber of the rafters that have been put up with a string line to ensure they are fixed correctly, this means that you can by pass any rotted out rafter ends, got it? probably not, and as for the timber lasting so long? well what are you replacing?
    also why would you wan to do the job twice? instead of using the correct material for replacement?
    and what do you support soffit boards with when they do not sit onto the top of the out side wall? don't tell me you screw a batten to the wall!!! ha ha yeah thats a great way to do it ,nice and straight, ps i think your horse is thirsty!
    ps because you have never seen this before, what qualifies you to comment? mind you that doesn't normally stop you!

Biffo likes this.
  5. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

pah ha ha ha !!!!

6. Mr. Handyandy

This gets worse. You ACTUALLY fix 18mm fascia board which holds tiles and guttering loads to the ends of expanded foam board?

I have never heard anything so trash in all my life.

Once again, I would not swing on that.

No wonder the stuff falls down. To be honest, I've never had to go repair any such stupid idea as fixings into foam ends.

Nice to hear that YOU are unable to put a straight batten up!

Next time you do it, try attaching a tad of chunky to a 'sprocket' as you call them, give it a few wiggles and see how easily it comes away.

Then try it with timber.

Then go away. Bits of fascia 'sprockets' are not structurally adequate in my opinion.

Just makes me feel SO good, knowing I've done a superior job.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

hello
    you keep referring to the weight of the tiles that sit onto the fascia as if this is a problem, well there is not much weight as the tile is resting also on the last tile batten so i'm not sure what your are on about there.
    no you haven't heard of this before as you really are a diy fool who's pig headed arrogance brought about by your refusal to engage in any kind of formal training in any fields of construction, this is why you don't know how chopsaws work and recommend nailing floorboards through carpet,and can't hang doors,
    yes you can nail with the polyheads into the foam sprockets and they hold very well. of course you wouldn't have any idea about this, all of the stuff you have seen fallen down will not have been fitted correctly, so another 'nothing' statement.
    i am quite capable of putting up a straight batten i was commenting on your very limited ability, knowledge, as i know that when you screw a sprocket to the rafter it is fixed quite well actually, this is why the method was put to test for the insurance company to be able to guarantee the work, do you offer a real on paper guarantee? probably not,
    oh and by the the way your 'oppinion' holds no water as you have no idea what you are talking about, i'm sure that i would not have to search too hard on here to find other professionals who have the same thoughts and here is a suggestion, i have mentioned this before, put your money where your mouth is and show us a photo of some of your facia jobs.

8. Mr. Handyandy

"you keep referring to the weight of the tiles that sit onto the fascia as if this is a problem, well there is not much weight as the tile is resting also on the last tile batten so i'm not sure what your are on about there."

You have really shown yourself up here. Proved beyond doubt that you don't know what you are talking about.

The last batten is nowhere near the fascia. The last batten is at the top of the tile.
    When you remove the timber fascia, ALL the last row of tiles DROP at least 4". Only thing holding them there is the weight of the second row up and the fact that they are hooked over the last batten(near the top of the tile).

Whatever fascia you put back has to lift that row back up to its original position.

In a newer build, this 'drop' may not be there because of a different way of building, but it's the older buildings more likely to need replacing fascia.

You don't know what you are talking about.
    Now tell me I'm wrong, and you are a liar.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

hello
    erm i have no idea what you are going on about i know all this, i was referring to the fact that you seem to think that the 18mm fascia on its own is not suitable to support the tiles? i'm quite aware what happens when you remove fascia and the drop in tiles. what? like you think i don't know something as basic as that ha ha !!
    and no you are not wrong that is what happens when you remove fascia durrrrr! ? so your point was? because if you read our posts your reply appears to have nothing to do with my point.
    please explain

10. Mr. Handyandy

Yes you DO know what I'm talking about. The last row has only half its weight supported by the top batten. So the fascia must hold up half the weight of a whole row of tiles.
    Now when I have replaced fascia with timber, in some cases the tiles were quite difficult to get pushed up with the new fascia. Being timber, big nails(as many as needed) assured darn strong support.

With just the chunky uPVC board(90° of its thickness is just foam) and limited number of thin pins, its just not good enough for holding the tiles and added guttering. It's cheap and nasty, and insecure.

As I said, you can rip it off by hand.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

11. "With just the chunky uPVC board(90° of its thickness is just foam) and limited number of thin pins, its just not good enough for holding the tiles and added guttering. It's cheap and nasty, and insecure."

Took me a few days but just reliesed I know you, think I did work with you on site in Hampshire, you were using one of this...
    [​IMG]

whilst everybody else used them nasty modern battery powered drill things, seem to remember you got the Stanley 805 out to pilot drill some holes ready for nut and bolt, none of this cheap and nasty "tek Screws"

to 99% on Screwfix happy new year (2014) to Handy Andy happy new year (1914).
    You might not like the way things are done in this century but that is the way it is, nobody is going to make a living doing things twice because they think that's better than the way the leading manufactures recommend.

subject closed (for me) and hope the original post got his problem sorted.

Attached Files:

12. Jimmy the roofer

Jimmy the roofer New Member

I defiantly would not have fascia boards nailed to the rafters cheaper and better to use timber

FACT