Fast setting wood glue

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by diy_nixy, May 22, 2017.

1. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

Hi Looking for a fast setting wood glue as I need to glue from underneath. Using 6mm ply as the underside of floating shelves glued to battens so I need to glue in situ. Can use clamps as well but I don't want to wait all night for wood glue to dry.

1. Mitre bond is too fast - not enough work time (only secs)
    2. Hot glue gun is too fast - not enough work time and too thick (only secs), leaves a gap in joints too.
    3. Gorilla glue takes too long (about 4hrs) and expands too much if I can't get a tight clamp on all sides.

Ive seen this other Titebond glue? Claims faster drying but not sure how fast?
    Titebond No-Run, No-Drip Wood Glue

http://www.axminster.co.uk/titebond-no-run-no-drip-wood-glue-ax22580

Thanks

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I haven't used the stuff in the link but ordinary Titebond (Titebond II Premium) should be alright as well. You can make an invisible hot glue gun joint by heating the substrates first with a hot air gun which prevents the glue from setting too quickly as it cools. Try it on some scrap.

3. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Gorilla WOOD glue - not the expanding version. http://uk.gorillaglue.com/gorilla-wood-glue (look under directions) - they claim it grips in 20-30 minutes although the full cure can be up to 24 hours. That is much the same as the Titebond.

4. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Stixall would work well in this situation - don't be too generous with it though. If you're painting the shelves you can pin the underside on whilst the glue sets, any glue in this instance. Punch pin heads in and fill afterwards or leave the heads proud, remove and fill hole.

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Just pva if you have to and pin it, to be honest I'd just pin it, it's not going to go anywhere is it.....

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If you do pin it buy a pack of veneer pins.......very fine.

8. Simon74

Simon74 Member

Lumberjack pu glue. Sets in 5 minutes, it does expand a little so clamping is required or a few tacks. I've recently started using it as I'm not waiting for glue to set anymore. Our host's rival sells it.

9. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

Thanks for all the advice...I might try the lumberjack pu glue.....hopefully sets in around 5 mins or so.
    Also good advice for using pins...I was trying to stay nail and screw free but I don't think a few panel pins will get noticed once I punch them in and paint-over.

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Do not use PU glue, it is messy and over kill for this piece of work. Unless you want to look like a leper you will have to wear gloves which will make fixing it upside down even harder.

Plus I doubt whether you have sufficient non marking clamps to hold it in place ?