FAULTY TUMBLE DRYERS WARNING

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by KIAB, Feb 23, 2017.

1. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Hotpoint, Indesit & Creda are affected, last year it also included Swan & Proline tumble dryers risk of fire, some 5.3 million machines affected,that were manufactuered between April 2004 and September 2015.

http://news.sky.com/story/people-told-to-unplug-dangerous-tumble-dryers-10777851

Earlier warning.

http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.or...desit,-creda,-swan-and-proline-tumble-dryers/

Affected customers can also call 0800 151 0905 for the UK or 1800 804320 for Ireland.

https://safety.hotpoint.eu/index.jsp

Deleted member 164349 likes this.
  2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Still lots of dodgy Beko ovens out there have killed at least 10 people

3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

John Lewis/AEG appliances here, none of that cheap tat :p

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Bosch appliances here.:)

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Actually, I lied. My dishwasher is Bosch, bought from John Lewis at the same time as the JL/AEG washing machine and tumble drier.

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I have Bosch, very disappointed to find it was built in Turkey :(

7. Looking at a new microwave, Bosch, made in China . Not for me thanks.

Had lots of Bosch stuff over the years and avoiding them deliberately now. I hear they had a major recall on dishwashers that was kept quite quiet. Overheating and causing fires.

It's the result of all being built to a price, not to a quality.

8. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Washing machines can be dangerous too as when i climbed in one to have a shower the door jammed and i was in a right spin!

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Sadly, a lot of makers are going the same way, & it's the same with power tools.:(

Deleted member 164349 likes this.
  10. I have discarded Bosch from my shopping list for everything, including power tools.

I can understand cheaper pricing, but it's only part of the equation when I buy things now, including tools. If I use it a lot and rely on it, I spend more. If it is lesser used then I am happy with cheaper, so the name/brand doesn't matter. Better to buy a basic but good quality washing machine that works, rather than a well known brand that has lots more unneeded features that have forced it to be built cheaper.

It's the misleading trading on an established name/reputation that annoys me. That's why Bosch is not even on my list anymore.

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The shame is that our production history hasn't been that great - remember those cars built in Coventry and Birmingham that had the Rover, British Leyland badges on them ........:oops:

12. You are not starting another brexit themed thread are you ? :rolleyes:

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Nope I was glad to see the back of them :p

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Intresting, I am looking to replace my Bosch tumble dryer, washing machine & fridge freezer, all about 12 years old, none have had repairs in all that time, but as to what make to replace them with I just don't know what to go for.
    I wonder if I went Bosch ,whether the models today would last 12 years.:confused:

15. I don't know the answer, but really doubt you would get 10 years out of them, but you never know.

Obviously brands like Miele (just bought 1 of their hoovers, wife is impressed with it), are still good. But I think the days of buying a brand because of its reputation are dying if not gone.

It's now a case of looking at high quality but basic featured goods now as far as I am concerned. How many features on a washing machine, oven, fridge etc do you actually use or need ? I like Miele, but getting impressed with LG and Samsung now in the white goods market. But I don't go out looking for a specific brand, but a specific quality.

Becomes a pain if you want all items to match though. We used to, we don't now.

16. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Bosch white goods used to, maybe still do, have three quality ranges .Avantixx, Exxcel & Logixx. We have always gone for the middle range which is Exxcel which have had absolute reliability.
    In the last few years they have brought out cheaper ranges to compete with other cheaper brands which are having some problems.
    I may be wrong but even more expensive brands such as Meile have cheaper ranges now.
    I think you get what you pay for. We have just bought a Bosch fridge freezer , retail £750 , £600 at Co-op Electrical online which have very good deals.
    It will probably outlast me.:(
    So we now have Bosch Washer, Tumble Dryer and Dishwasher in addition to the Fridge freezer.

17. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Purchased a secondhand Bosch Classix tumble dryer about 8-9 years ago, been very reliable. Had to replace the drum bearing last year.

18. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Best household appliance I got is still going after 32 years only cost me £18.50 in 1984! It is a small compact unit, not sure what country it was made in but it was either England or Wales. Got it off my father in law because he had two and was glad to get this of this one - his youngest daughter ;)

How ever there was no warranty, didn't come with instructions and there was a no returns policy

19. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I've got an indesit tumble dryer, it has had the so called safety repair done.
    A kid still wet behind the ears turned up and effectively screwed a selftapping screw into the back of the drum, this screw catches the fluff and keeps it away from the heating element, talk about a bodge job. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: