Feather Edge or Normal Panels

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by snappyfish, Apr 5, 2017.

1. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Hi,

Whats the main difference in these types of fencing?

Thanks

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Not sure what you mean exactly, but I would hazard a guess
    - feather edge "panels" are fence panels made with feather edge lengths of wood, probably a bit more robust than other types of panels made with lengths uniformally thin over their entire length
    - feather edge is also used on close boarded fencing, which are constructed on site using posts, arris rails and then feather edge nailed to the arris rails. A lot more robust than panels.

But not sure if you're asking about the difference between different types of panels, or panel fencing vs close boarded?

3. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Broadly speaking 'panels' fit in between the posts which can be timber (screwed or nailed) or concrete (captive/slotted). The panels can be made of a number of materials in any manner of styles and with or without trellis or decorative tops. You can get 'close board' panels which are made using 'feather edge' boards. The overall effect is of post, panel, post, panel etc and depending on the design of the panel can present two fair faces - ie it looks the same from either side.

Close board fencing is made by fixing feather edge boards vertically onto a framework made of posts (timber or concrete) and horizontal arris rails. There is usually only one fair face (but not always) and the overall effect when viewed from the 'front' is of a continuous run of vertical boards with no visible posts. It is customary (but by no means obligatory) to put the fair face on the outside of the property on a external boundary and towards your neighbour for a party boundary.

Does this answer your question?

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Close but not quite right.

On close boarded with arris rails you do see the posts and if your
    do it properly you actually lay the feather edge in opposite directions per bay, this is so you don't see through the fence on long runs when the board's warp as they do

You don't see the posts if you use fencing rails fixed to the face of the posts and lay the feather edge alI the same direction.

5. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Good point. At least two types of close board - arris rails mortised into posts thus posts are visble and arris set into notches in post in which case the posts are not visible unless the tops project above the boards. Notched posts are really common around here (Midlands) and I could show you miles of fence without posts visible. You see so little of the mortised rails in this neck of the woods that I had forgotten about that. Thanks for the correction. I'll bet that's all I see for days now.....

6. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Just wondered why one is picked over the other? The cost is not much different?

7. Phil the Paver

If your taking about panels, a good quality Close Boarded panel will be double that of a Lap panel, having said that they are twice as strong if not stronger.

If you go the C/B route make sure you buy ones with weather caps fitted, these tend to be much better quality.

8. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Thanks.

What I have is 42ft of standard 6x3ft high panels. Old and broken well weathered.

The current 100x100mm wood posts seem OK and was thinking of using a gravel board and 3ft featheredge boards attached against two rails. So the featheredge boards will sit slightly higher than current 3ft high posts allow.

As I would not be able to go higher than 3ft with standard panels. Does this make sense?

9. Phil the Paver

If you fix the rails to the face of the posts you can fit a continuous run of feather edge hiding the lower posts.

To fit the gravel boards just cut and fit section of rail to the posts first, than fit gravel boards to these, bringing them out to the feather edge line.

snappyfish likes this.
  10. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Thanks, so the benefit of featheredge boards are strength and for ideas like this?where I want to go slightly higher than existing posts.

11. Phil the Paver

Yes.

snappyfish likes this.
  12. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Are there any height restrictions for front garden fence?

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes, I believe it to be 1 metre, higher than that you would probably require planning permission.

14. Phil the Paver

Yes.

If you have a driveway you must be able to see over the fence while sitting in your vehicle at the boundery line of your property, so you can see both the road and pavement, this is something like 2 metres in from the boundery line, then you can go to 2 metres in height.

This is of course subject to there not being any restrictions in your deeds, stating the front has to be open plan.

15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Google: front garden fence height limit.

16. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

My google is broken, hence why I came to this great forum for advice. :)

17. Phil the Paver

Your taking about the height across the front of the boundery. Ie the highway line.

I'm talking about each side coming to the boundery, so 2 metres down to 1 metres.

18. Phil the Paver

19. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

20. Andrew2323

Andrew2323 New Member

Feather edge fencing is a popular choice for both residential and commercial properties due to its durability and classic appearance. With its timeless design, feather edge fencing can enhance the overall aesthetic of your property. It adds a touch of elegance and can complement various architectural styles.