febond sbr render- no need to tank?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by imac, Oct 27, 2014.

1. imac

imac New Member

Hello all.
    I've been using this forum for years to dip into.
    I'm putting a corner shower into the bottom floor (concrete pad) of my house. I'm having to strip back and re render the walls where the shower is going as the plaster is poor and has been sealed with pva i think. Walls are old super dense concrete blocks.

If I render with febond sbr sand and cement render then I can use 10mm travertine tiles. Can I tile straight onto this with powdered bal adhesive? If so, how long will I have to leave the render to dry - it's waterproof so should be ok sooner than normal s and c render? Surely with properly applied febond mis i won't need to tank it? It can be used itself for tanking.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated (especially if you know what you are on about!)

Thanks in advance!

2. imac

imac New Member

HELP! I'm ready to roll and render the wall with waterproof render but don't want to make any schoolboy errors..

Surely I don't need to tank the render?

3. StevieSteve

StevieSteve Member

No need to tank if it's waterproof already, it would be like tanking a swimming pool.

4. imac

imac New Member

Thanks for your reply. What I don't understand is why when anyone mentions render, they are not advised to use febond? It's cheaper than tanking and boarding too. I suppose the drying time is a pain for some but a new build would surely benefit.

I used it yesterday and it is a little harder to work with (first coat 7mm) but sets fast and can take subsequent coats every 30 mins.

This morning looks really good. I'll call everbuild and check drying times for tiling.