Feed & Expansion tank.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by powerdesal, Jan 27, 2015.

1. powerdesal

powerdesal New Member

I am designing my solid fuel fired central heating system and this has raised a few basic questions:-
    1. F & E tank, from searching the various suppliers on line it appears that they sell tanks in plastic (presumably high temp resist ). I have been informed by one person that the F & E tank MUST be copper or SS. Which is acceptable ,plastic or metal ?

2. A further question, DHW cylinder. Convention says an open vented, indirect cylinder but many systems now have unvented DHW cylinders with pressure relief valves to atmosphere ( safely piped to outside). Can such a cylinder be used with a solid fuel fired CH boiler?
    My thoughts are that a pressure relief valve ( ie a safety valve ) fulfils the same function as an open vent in that pressure caused by overheating is safely released. I would welcome any comments on this, irrespective of the UK regs because the system is not being installed in UK but in France where a pressure relief valve ( Groupe de Securite ) is the 'Norme' and open vented DHW systems do not appear to exist.

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

solid fuel must never be connected to a unvented cylinder, I don't think the frogs have any pits so where would you get coal from? when in France do what the French do, solid fuel is slow to heat up,slow to put out and totally uncontrolable, why would you want it?:confused:

3. powerdesal

powerdesal New Member

I never mentioned coal, I am talking about wood burning, which is very popular in France particularly in rural areas where mains gas is not available, LPG and oil are both expensive, as is electricity.

4. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

ok wood, but woods the same as its slow to start,slow to put out and uncontrollable and you cannot use a unvented cylinder off it , its not cheap to buy but if your rural a chainsaw can be an asset . so if you intend heating water off a log burner you'll need a open vented system,

edit,,plastic expantion tanks are ok

5. powerdesal

powerdesal New Member

Thanks tom.plum for the confirmation about plastic expansion tanks.
    Just as a matter of information, wood is the cheapest form of heating here, being £40 ish per cubic metre, and that's for seasoned wood, primarily oak.