Feeds for a washing machine and tumble dryer

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by jaymo, Jun 6, 2016.

1. jaymo

jaymo New Member

We have a utility room in which we have a single double socket on the wall above our worktop. I'd like to install a washing machine and tumble dryer in there, but obviously don't want them both running through the same socket.

Can we arrange for a 30a junction box to be installed, and take two feeds off, each to a 13a fused switch (above the worktop), with 2.5mm running down to a single socket underneath the work top, one for each appliance?

I'll have an electrician carry out the work (he's on holiday atm, just want to buy everything needed ready for when he gets back).

Cheers,

Jay

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Could easily split the ring final & have two switched fused connection units in a dual back box,need a short link between to continue ring final, I prefer that to having seperate spurs, each fcu then has a 2.5m T&E drop down to a unswitched 13A socket, making sure it isn't in the way when you push the machines back.

Got caught here,I forgot about the raised back on the Bosch, so had to move socket & offset it a bit to one side.:oops::rolleyes:

3. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

As above - dual feeds off a single jb are not allowed.

4. jaymo

jaymo New Member

That's great thanks for your replies. So i need 2 13A FCU's, the backbox, some 2.5mm, and two sockets? Is this okay in the small square conduit that sticks on the wall?

5. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Yea but your spark will probably have a preference for the make of the accessories so better check with him first *cough*. Don't bother with the stick on stuff, it's useless, get normal trunking and screw it to the wall.

KIAB likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Don't forget you might want fcu's with neon light.

7. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Says who, on every 30A JB I have ever fitted it say 4 x 2.5 max. If its rated to 30A then whats the problem if its on a 30/32A protective device.

8. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

My understanding is a u/f spur should only feed 1 double socket max so technically you could end up with 1 spur feeding 2 x double socket. Daft though as you could use two jb's and run a 2 inch piece of 2.5mm between them.

9. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

I understand but both spurs are coming straight from a point on the ring, albeit the same point.

10. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Who knows mate, many ways to skin a cat.

11. jaymo

jaymo New Member

Thats great everyone, thanks!

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Why do the posters even bother to pretend that they aren't going to do the job themselves? o_Oo_O

ericp likes this.
  13. Owain

Owain Member

Are we sure the existing double socket is on the ring and is not an unfused spur which can not be further extended?

14. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

That's a good point, I was wondering why everyone is assuming it's a ring final circuit!

15. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Well his spark can sort it all out for him eh?

TP&N and seneca like this.
  16. jaymo

jaymo New Member

I'm not pretending anything. My mates on his honeymoon who will be doing the work when he returns.

The socket is straight on the ring.

17. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Just pretend its a Washing Machine and Tumble Drier - regulation breach? for some maybe..:)

1.JPG

jaymo and KIAB like this.
  18. Neveryoumind

Neveryoumind Active Member

I was on a job not two weeks ago where that exact setup was installed but, they were all part of the same ring, just looped from socket to fcu to socket to fcu and so on

KIAB likes this.
  19. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Hi Never - the two fcu's are spurred from the Ring Final Double Socket via one length of 2.5mm from ds to fcu's ..:)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  20. Neveryoumind

Neveryoumind Active Member

Aaahh I see, it looks well done all the same, they could have even just extended the ring