Felt flat roof replacement, building reg advice please

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Crumbs, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Crumbs

Crumbs Member

hi, we are replacing our failing porch felt flat roof (over 40 years old i think)
    I was looking to do this myself but cancelled due to concerns over building regulations and decided to get someone in, it was my understanding if over 50% of the roof is being replaced then you need them.

However after having multiple roofers over, they all shrugged it off as to not bother putting in an application or worry about them. Id rather save the coin / hassle. Roofers we had over are highly rated on mybuilder.com so we arent concerned of the workmanship

We could of course do an application but wondered if its quite common for roofers to not enforce building regs to get involved.

It is only a very small area 2.2m x 1.5m, appreciate the advice thanks.:rolleyes:

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Doesn't require building regs.

Don't put felt, get a quote for glass fiber. Looks much better and lasts a lot longer

KIAB likes this.
  3. benben5555

benben5555 Member

Correct that if you replace more than 50% you are required to upgrade to current regs. Just checking though, is the space heated? If its not got a rad then you don't have to insulate.

Either way don't bother with an application, save yourself the money, the council will never know, or care! If you sell your house just say it was like that when you bought it.

I'm a building surveyor by the way

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

For a porch to be exempt from Building Regulations it must be;

• Less than 30 square metres
    • It must be separated from the habitable parts of the dwelling by external quality windows / doors.
    • Any heating or cooling systems must have independent controls / thermostat.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Seriously consider GRP roofing,stronger than felt, last longer, available in many colours, had it done here on front bay window & shed roof about six years ago.

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

There can't be many occasions where felt outscores fiberglass on residential properties.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Neighbour had new felt roof on garage, window cleaner placed his ladder on the roof to clean windows,the feet on ladder made a lovely gash in the felt.:)

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

And its not an easy thing to repair .....

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Insurance paid for a whole new felt roof.

Would have been a simple repair, had it been grp.:)
    Had scaffolding on my grp roof here, not a mark, or any damage.:)

10. Crumbs

Crumbs Member

thanks all, bit late reply... It is a habitable area / heated area. Because all roofers shrugged it off (even ones who are on the comptetant persons scheme)
    We just went without it, we went with felt. Never heard of GRP before, non of the 4 roofers suggested it either. Maybe it costs more

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Does ost a bit more, but the extra expense is outweighed by the longevity, strength,etc of the grp roofing.
    It's a continuous GRP surface, which has no joins to lift like felt to leak, it's stronger than felt & smarter appearance.

http://www.proplasfibreglassroofing.co.uk/2015/06/10/advantages-fibreglass-roofing/

This shows the difference better than any words.:)

http://www.proplasfibreglassroofing...old-felt-roof-with-fibreglass-winchmore-hill/

12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

And felt roofs are always marked as a question point during house sale surveys, fibre glass very easy to visually check

KIAB likes this.
  13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And people who see a grp roof on porch, garage, other building feel more confident buying the property, knowing there is no maintaince or cost of replacement needed to factored in replacing worn felt.

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

it is bonkers to persist with felt. Even with retail prices roofing my 4.5m x 5m bathroom roof cost just over £529 for the resin and top coat. Just the basic roofing felt (top coat and under felt) it would have come to £500 based on Wickes prices.

The size quoted in the original post would be £160 for a 30 year life time!

KIAB likes this.
  15. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

Completely right I'm Doing a 900m/2 flat roof at the moment 4 years old and previously sarnafil, deck has completely rotted in many areas thro small leaks and poor upstanding height, the client has opted for recovering with GRP and has come out at half the cost of all modern single ply membranes such as sarnafil or armorplan and is far more robust

KIAB likes this.
  16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Felt for flat roofs has had it's day, has to be GRP.

SWBUILDERS likes this.
  17. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

900 sq m, hope that isn't in one section ! I was shattered after having to do 22 sqm by myself

SWBUILDERS likes this.
  18. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

image.jpeg
    No I'm the contractor on it we have redo e the carpentry and have a local company doing the glassing lots of expansion joints needed so breaks it into around 50m/2 bays

19. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Is that a temporary roof positioned over the existing roof?

20. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

Hi, yes it's a fully beamed scaffold with a shrink wrap full covering!!!