fence post repair - dig hole with Auger or Post hole digger

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by SteveMJ, Nov 4, 2013.

1. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

Hello,

I've three (only noticed three so far!) 2m damaged fence posts that I propose to reinforce with concrete spurs.

Of course I have to excavate a hole ~ 0.6 m deep beside each exisitng fence post. Is it easier (cheaper/better...) to use an auger (like: http://www.screwfix.com/p/roughneck-spiral-post-hole-auger-6/56144) or post hole digger (like: http://www.screwfix.com/p/roughneck-fibreglass-post-hole-digger/35835)?

I'm not sure of the soil or existing concrete around the posts as I have yet to clear the vegetation away.

Thanks, Steve

2. The augers no good, you will be to near the fence/post to turn the handle.
    Use a long bar to loosen up the ground, post hole digger to clear hole.
    You will need a lump hammer and long chisel to break of existing concrete, so you can get the spur up tight to existing post.

3. Hi Steve.

I cannot comment on the auger, but the post hole digger will only work on soil that is pretty much free of medium-sized stones. As I found to my cost...

It basically just bounces off any stones down there that happen to be in the way of the blade tips - stones that are a touch too big to just loosen and move.

So, check your soil type first. On 'normal' or clay-ish soil, I found it worked well - it makes a neat hole that's not too big and has clean sides - just what you want.

To be honest, for the sake of 3 or 4 holes, I'd just tackle it with something like an elongated lever/crowbar and a scoop of some kind. (I'd used whatever was to hand for this job a few weeks back - that turned out to be a pick-axe top (used like a long chisel, clouting it with a club-hammer...) and a small trowel... My post-hole digger was redundant for most of the stony holes, although was useful for a couple.

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You mean 'in front of the post'.

If you've garden/dirt/soil, I'd start 2ft out from the post, digging down and at the angle towards the post. You will have a large enough hole then, to see the existing concrete, which has to be moved from the old post. Widen the hole somewhat at the base of the post. You can then set the spur there.
    Remember to drill the correct thickness and depth pilot holes for any coach screws, if that is what you are using to fix the spur to the timber.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really