Fencing on wet ground

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Sam1983, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Sam1983

Sam1983 New Member

Post holes are filling with ground water at 8" down to 2' - ground around is soft due to moisture levels.
    What's the best mix?
    I'm worried the amount of water will have negative effect on concrete - will postmix be better option so it cures before taking on too much moisture!?
    I'm using concrete posts and hd panels so it's got to be strong - should I ideally wait until the ground is dryer?
    Thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A proper concrete mix is better than postmix, could make it slightly dryer mix & it will take in surrounding water to set, but if mix is too wet you lose it's strength.
    But, if it so bad then I would wait until it's a bit dryer.

Sam1983 likes this.
  3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Will you putting in concrete gravel board as well, they come in 6" and 12"~?

4. Sam1983

Sam1983 New Member

6" concrete boards - it's just even if the concrete sets (it's really wet) I'm worried that the soft wet ground around the post won't give enough strength to the fence if it gets windy!?

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

If its really wet, may be best to wait. Maybe an accelerator and frostproofer if expecting frosts? Just make the mix dryer, then it will hold the post steady.

Replaced some fencing in early December, using the HD panels (about double the price of lap panels).

To stop the panels rattling in the slots I drives in some stainless screws through the edges in an angle so that it would locate in the slot, has worked.

Sam1983 likes this.
  6. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Put the concrete in as normal it will displace the water.
    If you're worried about the stability go deeper with your holes

Sam1983 likes this.
  7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Wasn't this exact question asked a few months ago ?