Ferroli Optima 701

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Flash 32, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Flash 32

Flash 32 New Member

I have the above named combi boiler which has developed a problem with DHW heating, most notable when the shower is in operation, although it can be felt when the taps are run but to a lesser degree (Probably due to amount of flow/amount of body imersed). The water temperature drops off then picks up again in a continuous cycle. On observing the boiler it can be seen that the flame intensity reduces then intensifies, this ties in with the temperature fluctuations. The area I live in is generally thought to be soft water, so I'm not sure if a Heat Exchanger flush would be prudent? Any advice that relates to this type of defect/boiler is much appreciated, thank-you.

2. Bit Of Advice

Bit Of Advice New Member

Could be hot water temperature sensors.

3. Flash 32

Flash 32 New Member

Thanks for a swift reply, have conducted insulation resistance test IAW manufacturers instructions and the 'IR' readings appear to be correct?

4. Bit Of Advice

Bit Of Advice New Member

Is central heating working well?

5. Flash 32

Flash 32 New Member

The central heating appears to be working correctly.

6. Bit Of Advice

Bit Of Advice New Member

Leave your central heating off for an hour or until the pipes at boiler go cold.

Leave central heating off !!

Run hot water tap on full for about 10 minutes, then check to see if the flow on the heating pipe on boiler heats up when it shouldn't.

7. smithp60

smithp60 New Member

Swop the sensors over to test, Replace both if problem is prooved.

8. Bit Of Advice

Bit Of Advice New Member

Have you noticed it to be any worse or better when central heating is on or off when calling for hot water??

9. Flash 32

Flash 32 New Member

Have swopped the sensors, no change to the defect noticed.

10. Flash 32

Flash 32 New Member

There appears to be no difference whether the heating is in use or not. Carried out your suggestion of leaving heating off and then calling for DHW, with nothing untoward being observed.

11. Bit Of Advice

Bit Of Advice New Member

IF the central heating flow doesnt get hot they we know / think diverter is ok!!

Have you swapped the sensors as advised above?

12. Flash 32

Flash 32 New Member

Sensors have been swopped and to the best of my knowledge proved correct. The boiler as far as I can see there is no diverter Vv, but a double Cct Heat Exchanger.

13. Bit Of Advice

Bit Of Advice New Member

After that it could be quite a few different things, best to get someone out really.

Far easier for someone stood infront of it.

14. Flash 32

Flash 32 New Member

Bit of Advice thank-you for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.

15. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

http://tinyurl.com/5gqk6n

I assume you have the manual above?

Sounds like thermostat/fan/pcb/poor connections or any combination of the above.

16. Bit Of Advice

Bit Of Advice New Member

Definitely need someone to diagnose peoperly for you.

17. Flash 32

Flash 32 New Member

Yes, this is the manual that I have been working from, but to no avail, I really am running out of ideas now.

18. Flash 32

Flash 32 New Member

I think you are right, as I've just about run out of ideas.

19. Bit Of Advice

Bit Of Advice New Member

Not the easiest boilers to work on.

Some manufacturers do a set fee fix, maybe worth a phone call.

Or a good engineer in your area.

20. Flash 32

Flash 32 New Member

Your right, not to easy to find literature on the web for this type of boiler, Any suggestions