Festool faults. bad customer service

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Scot katitoupolus, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Scot katitoupolus

Scot katitoupolus New Member

Recently sent a festool ts 55 saw back for repair estimate. Though out of warranty the tool had been well looked after and not had any serious workload. The fault was internal, to do with the motor, and not at all a result of wear and tear. Festool sent a courier to pick it up, all good I thought. Estimate came back, well over £200. To add insult to injury they want £25 before they send it back un-repaired and they will send it back in bits. I have been trying to call customer services but am getting nowhere near anyone who can make a decision.

How can a festool repair cost more than the cost of a new, say Hitachi circular saw which will take a battering for 20 years, costs a third to fix, and does the same job?

Anybody else in this situation?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

They have you by the short & curlies I'm afraid, a common procedure.
    I know someone who had Makita mitre saw, it had a fault,it was also sent back in bits,when he didn't go ahead with repairs.
    In my opinion the tool should be returned in the condition it was sent, not in pieces.

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

How old is the saw, just because it's out of what festool call a warranty period, the sales of goods act clearly states that something should be expected to last a reasonable amount of time, up to and including 6 years from purchase, now festool being a very high end brand it's not unreasonable to say that six years would apply in this case.
    Give them a big nudge in the SoGA direction.

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Ah! SoGA.:)

Great idea, totally forgot about that.:oops:

5. Scot katitoupolus

Scot katitoupolus New Member

True, but you can take a Makita to your local fixer, Festools have to be sent back to Festool, a bit rich when you think the Festool is stored in a fancy hi tech box 'system' whereas my Maks and Hitachis rattle around together in a bag, 10 - 15 years and NEVER a problem, still going strong. I'll never buy a festool again. AND they charge you for the estimate and to send it back!

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Comes down to...'times money'!

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The Festool items I bought recently have a 36 month warranty. Dewalt have increased theirs to 3 years as well.

Admittedly I would like longer warranties but within three years some tools get a lot of use and abuse, 3 years seems of service and repairs seems ok but I would expect my tools to go on long after that.

8. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I've always liked Makita, even before they brought in the 3year warranty. Luckily, I've never had to use it. :):)

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Its probably the kiss of death - but never had to make a warranty claim after 3
    Having a heated conversation over an office chair I purchased for my son as a computer chair. It is a "heavy duty" chair intended for us 5-8 hours a day but the manufacturer is stating it is out of 12 month warranty. Don't know about you guys but would expect a chair especially a heavy duty chair to last more than 12 months without an issue

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

How do you define 'heavy duty', you can get chairs with different hour rating, 5-8 hours, 24 hours,etc, & weight ratings, my nephew broke a ergonomic office chair rated as 24/7 just outside the 12 month warrenty, & it was wasn't a cheap model.
    Could understand it if he was a youngster, but he is 19,how do they do it:confused:.

This is what he wants to buy now,a Noblechair gaming chair, it has a 2 year warrenty & is rated for 28 stone:eek:,whether it will last two years is another story.:)

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/nobl...-008-nc.html?gclid=CMaYqMDO184CFQgq0wodDyUGCw

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The manufacturer actually uses the term "heavy duty" in their advert and provides the hourly rating. The also rate the chair as being suitable for people up to 25 stone - my son is only 8!

If it had been £49.99 one from Ikea, Argos etc. I wouldn't complain. This one had a retail price of £315 - not far off the Noble one.

This is what I wanted but couldn't get one cheap enough at the time http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-H...014727?hash=item281df0d6c7:g:U0gAAOSwosFUWOeq

Getting fed up of dealing with incompetent and uncaring companies. One day last week, three deliveries were expected, two arrived with incorrect and missing items the third didn't even arrive.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Herman Miller Aeron, finest chair made,I'm watching a few on Ebay now, but they are making crazy prices.

A few years ago, I was offered about a dozen of them from a closing office,always regrets not having them, but I didn't have the storage space.:(

13. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I have a local legitimate supplier of Hermann Miller and the prices were extremely good - no one could better them. What sort of prices are they going for on ebay?

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

A good quality one with arms is fetching around £400 - more if it has the lumber support !

15. ken smith

ken smith New Member

i have a festool cs70 table saw, which has probs with speed, kept hunting,ie speed fluctuation. checked out festool repair service
    was very impressed at how quickly they do the work. after the paper work and the pickup, a week went by, and i thought how good they had been not keeping me informed, as per there add, i rang them today around 9am ,to be told , oh yes work completed on monday, this is now Thursday.
    was then told they are waiting for the box to come back so they can send saw back,i said do you only have one box, no we have several.
    i then said what happens if box does not come back, ,,oh it will,, i then said , a bit like lord lucan, and hung up.
    by the way cost is nearly £600, they told me motor was sparking, yet when i checked it ,it wasnt, so new motor,
    guess what , only 6month guarentee, i will never buy festool again, they do not give a dam about us, take it or leave it,, most likely in bits
    if you dont agree to repair. ,as for there add, it should be for ,one flew over the cuckoos nest, dick turpin comes to mind,,
    stick with your makita, or similar,

Jord86 and KIAB like this.
  16. Cecilb70

Cecilb70 Active Member

I agree I do have some festool kit but it's definitely not as durable as mak or Bosch. It looks the part and is nicely specced but not tough. The repairs sound like a joke tbh. Who takes a tool apart and doesn't screw it back together? They probably take all the old s#+t out Chuck it and just put new **** in. Only costs em peanuts anyway. Don't they have plastic gears( YouTube) overpriced cheap ****.

Jord86 likes this.
  17. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I bought their collated screwgun two years ago, cost me nearly £500, didn't use it 20 instances, was jamming, screws not sinking fully still protruding by 1/2" or so, just all round below par s hite. Sent it back under warranty, they changed a "faulty" part inside and sent it back to me. I tried it and it seemed ok, I don't use it regularly so won't know until I put it through its paces in jobs to come, but based on my experience with it so far, I regret buying it and wish to Christ I'd bought either dewalt for half the price or grit my teeth and paid a bit more for an indestructible Hilti.

18. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

My only experience of Festool is good to be honest. Have a track saw a 3 Midi extractors. That said, they all work fine, so have had no need to test any warranty yet. I will say this though, if i need to test a warranty and get the results in the posts above. It will be the last time i ever buy Festool.
    Over the years, like lots of peeps here, tools have turned toes up. Most of mine are Makita, and can absolutely say i have never had a problem with a warranty claim from Makita. In fact the last claim i made came back with 2 extra batteries...............bonus if ever there was one :D