Festool router 2200 not compatible with site work

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by chris pearce, Mar 27, 2014.

1. chris pearce

chris pearce New Member

I finally treated myself to what i believed would be the ultimate router. Whilst it is a great tool and feels incredibly solid and the finish is immaculate i can only use it when i have mains electricity, which is not useful when working on new builds.

Whilst on site i tried it on several generators including some very large ones and it still didn't work.
    What good is a tool that i can't use on site, basically it is not fit for purpose considering your everyday diy man who may occasionally require a router once of twice a year is probably not going to fork out £600 for a router. Which leads to to the point it is not fit for purpose and according to trading standards i am entitled to my money back.
    I contacted Festool in january and am still waiting for a response. I have been passed from person to person but no one will talk to be properly about the fact i can't use this machine.
    I did however bump into a rep who told me that there have been quite a few cases where this router won't work on generators unless they are really big but in my experience that doesn't even make a difference. I just wanted to warn people before they think about buying one to consider sticking to their faithful Makita before loosing all their money.
    Has anyone else has this problem?

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

It's a 230v, 2200 watt motor, so as long as the generator is more than say 2.5 KVA I don't see how it wouldn't work.

You haven't left the Genny on 110v have you.:(

vivaro man likes this.
  3. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Should have bought the 110v version. ;););)

4. Phil the Paver

It would have to be for site work anyway, genny or not. ;)

5. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

You shouldn't of bothered with contacting them, festool have a 30 day trial period whereby you can return an item without need for any reason, should of taken it back to wherever you bought it.

6. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

the size of the genny won't make any difference as long as it's a higher capacity than the tool rating - but the quality of it's output, and the frequency will make a massive difference when running anything with a motor in it

7. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

I think Phil the Paver has possibly got it, check the switch on the gen. The Festool is a proper tool but it's not that big a motor on it. My Elu, de Walts and Trend are fine on my old gen.

By the way Mafell kick Festool all over the shop as far as I'm concerned. Now that is seriously good kit.

8. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Makes you wonder though,,, If the OP wanted it specifically for site work,, Why buy the 230v version, when a 110v is available??

9. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  10. Phil the Paver

he said it was mains, mains in this country is 230v, if he has a 110v he should have said so, that aside i still don't see how it wouldn't work on a genny if the genny is putting out enough power, this would need to be a bit higher than 2.2kva, to allow for start up surge.

11. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

110v via a step down is still mains (to my way of thinking) - a genny could be putting out 500 Kva but if it's not at the right frequency any AC powered motorised tool will grumble

you might be right, but why would anyone buy a 230v tool knowing 110v is the preferred site voltage

time will tell ;)

12. Phil the Paver

Maybe your right re: voltage, but I have run gods knows how many power tools off a genny without any problems, including grinders which are renowned for start up surge, I even run my Bosch Breaker (the full sized ones) without issue.

13. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

I'll bet you the price of a KitKat that he has the 110v version

14. snezza30

snezza30 Member

Chris,

You may find reading this will help you out....

http://festoolownersgroup.com/festool-tool-problems/of2200-router-power-issue/

The guy that posted the initial problem, seemed to have solved his issues.
    I posted a few comments on that thread, as I also had a few problems running high wattage tools on a generator. The guy in the US was/is a hive of knowledge.

Hope this helps.

Snezza.

15. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

it appears to have a dislike of dirty electricity and badly regulated gennys

16. snezza30

snezza30 Member

I think, in a nutshell, the generator he is using is too small...!!!!
    Also, according to what the guy from the US was saying, the generator needs to be an Electromagnetic model, not Solid State (Electronic).

Snezza.

17. snezza30

snezza30 Member

I believe that Festool have reduced this down to 15 days now, in the UK.

18. chris pearce

chris pearce New Member

Forgot to say I have the 110v version as you're only allowed 110v on site, I have a 3.0kva genny and I tried it on 4 others, all of them bigger than mine ranging up to a 6.0kva one. I know the solution is to get another genny that has a clean sign-wave, but why should I fork out for a different one, if festool are meant to be the best why shouldn't it work, they don't state this when you buy it or have it in the manual, all my other routers in the past have worked. As for there customer care, well that's a joke, not heard a peep from them!

19. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

that's what I suspected, it's sine wave btw - sooner or probably later the quality of site supplies will improve as more and more tools will have complex controls within, but don't hold your breath

20. Phil the Paver

Have you tried as was suggested on the US site, running it of a 110v transformer plugged into the 240v side of the genny, you never know the transformer may sort the supply problem, got to be worth a try.