Festool v bosh Gkt help?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Adam124, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Adam124

Adam124 New Member

In desperate need of some help before I take the 'plunge' and buy a plunge saw!
    Had my mind set on a festool but after going to data power tools, they spoke very highly of the Bosch gkt? Anyone have any views on these? Thanks in advance

2. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

No experience of the Bosch plunge saw i'm afraid. Festool, i absolutely do have experience of though. If you are going to use it for fitting kitchens, the Festool is simply the best bit of kit there is. Yes it's expensive, once you have used it though you fully realize why it's expensive.
    If mine broke tomorrow (which it won't lol), i'd go straight out and buy another one.

3. Adam124

Adam124 New Member

I have been using a festool which is my bosses, I want my own for my own work. I had great intentions of getting everything the same as what I've been using, but the guys in data power tools have made me think twice now. Cutting doors to length, mdf, kitchen parts, ply. The Bosch motor has an extra 200w.

4. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

The wattage is neither here nor there to be honest. It's a "handling" thing in my mind. The Festool is very light, it's extremely accurate, blade change is a dream, dust extraction just works.
    Maybe ask to try the Bosch out before you agree to buy ?

5. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

I have both the festool and makita plunge saws. The Makita is great and feels sturdier and powerful, a real quality industrial tool. But the festool is easier to handle and better designed. Do you want a Porsche or a Ferrari?

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got a Bosch GCM8SJL sliding mitre saw, can't fault it, using it with Freud 64 tooth Blade ((LP40M 019) give a superb fine cut.
    Only one niggle, saw is only a single bevel, annoyingly Bosch brought out the GCM 8 SDE Professional which is double bevel saw & still has a 216mm blade barely a few weeks later.

A slightly larger saw Bosch GCM350-254 has a 254mm blade, & is double bevel,most likelyI might have gone with this had it been available & I could try it hands on..

7. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

I have both makita and Bosch plunge saws, there's pros and cons to both, the festool I've used in the past and for me I couldn't jusrltify the extra on the festool when essentially there all very similar

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Before I bought my Bosch GCM8SJL, I looked at the Makita LS1018L mitre saw on display, the quailty was lacking compared to my old Makita mitre saw, rough casting, a bit of slop in the slide action, might have been due to rough handling in showroom.

9. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

In 1999 i bought an LS1013 that served me very very well until a couple of years ago. The spring on the slide was knackered, but the saw still worked fine. The thing for me though was the size of mouldings that i was having to cut............they was getting bigger lol. So i sold it and bought a LS1216L. It's the doggy's dangly's when it comes to cutting. A 100 tooth Makblade and everything is sweet as a nut. The other upside is that cutting 22.5 plinth can be done upright, so no need to bevel at all lol.

mmcarpentry likes this.
  10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Plunge saw not mitre saw :p:p

11. hwads

hwads New Member

If your serious forget them all and buy Mafell.

12. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

If you open up the Bosch most of its components are actually mafell, same with the mafell, if opened up mix of mafell and Bosch branded components. Does this mean they are the same saw just packaged to suit supplier

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:eek: oops!

Use to have a Makita SP6000J1 way back in 2009,found it a good saw,sold it a couple of years ago & I now regret doing so, been looking to get another plunge saw,can't justify buying Festool:(, so a toss up between the Makita & maybe the Triton.