Festool

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by JamieTheJoiner, Apr 16, 2015.

1. JamieTheJoiner

JamieTheJoiner New Member

I am currently thinkinh about changing all my tools (one by one obv) from Dewalt as I feel it has went down hill over the last few years. I was thinking about changing to festool, wondering if anyone knows how good they are? It's between them and hilti

Cheers

2. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Festool for the workshop and Hilti for the work site.

3. JamieTheJoiner

It's the festool drill and collated gun I'm looking at

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Both good brands, I don't know about the tool you mention.

JamieTheJoiner likes this.
  5. JamieTheJoiner

It was the Festool quadrive 5.2ahm batteries.

6. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Don't rule out Metabo. Quality German engineering again at its finest.
    I have their 18v system running a cordless Impuls drill , 125mm grinder, impact driver and LED torch light.
    The torch seems to last for ever on one charge.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
    malkie129 likes this.
  7. darren jackson

darren jackson Active Member

festool great tools
    have brought most of mine from d&m tools twickenham
    have a look at there website they seem to sell all the great makes

8. wuddy

wuddy Member

I have both the items you are interested in and they are both fine, you will have no problems

9. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Got to be honest. I have switched over to Dewalt recently and am really happy with it. The battery life is superb and the first fix nailer and trimsaw are excellent.

I had a lot of Festool gear and yes it is superb but it certainly is a big investment and some of it is overengineered.

The Dewalt tracksaw rails are garbage however and the Festool ones are a thousand times better. On the flipside systainers are not a patch on Toughsystem boxes.

10. JamieTheJoiner

I have the big DeWalt chop saw and an excellent DeWalt table saw which are great. But as for the drills I just feel they are not as good and are better out there. I work with my uncle and all his tools are hilti which are far superior. ( he has drills he has had for 20 years and are still going strong)

Just felt I wanted to upgrade on the drill side of it and fancied the festool stuff it looks brilliant.

11. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I know exactly what you mean in terms of there being better drills etc. All the brands have stronger tools and weaker tools

For me looking at the overall range the Dewalt 18v XR covers more of the bases and at a good price.

I do like a lot of the Festool gear though.

I have a Dewalt table saw for site work which is superb and just have gone much more compact on the mitre saw with the DW777. Like them both a lot.

12. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

The festool T lock system is hard to beat. Dewalt boxes seem to have a lot of latches.
    One turn of the T lock and your done.

13. JamieTheJoiner

The xr range is good I have some of that too I just feel festool is a step up and have heard noting but good things about them

14. Go for festool amazing tools and service and back up is second to none. If you wanted to try the drill ring festool rep he will come to you let you try any of the range you have asked to look at with no pressure to buy any thing or buy the drill you have 15 days if for any reason you don't like it they will give you full refund.You also get 3 years insurance for theft 3 years parts labour and servicing. The quality of the tools is second to none started changing all my tools as i can afford it from dewalt and makita .

15. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Systainers are brittle and will not put up with the hammer that Toughsystems will. Anyone bigger than Jimmy Krankie cracks them when they get used for hopups.

Systainers are good for workshop storage but site and vans the Toughsystems are difficult to better for tough conditions.

I had a van full of Systainers nicked and replaced them with Toughstystem

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Are toughsystems produced by a company you are doing testing and pr for perchance?

goldenboy and caveman bulider like this.
  17. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I do just really rate them. And they were all bought and paid for! :)

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You have form for this kind of thing.

19. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Form like what mate? I have pointed people in the direction of competitions over on another forum in the past. That's about it. That's about all I can think of in the 12 years I have been on here.

I do some testing and other stuff for Stanley unpaid and yes they own Dewalt but I don't have anything to do with the Dewalt side of things at all

20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Didn't you pimp for JCB at one point?