filing loop or filling point? Vaillant EcoMAx combi, where might it be?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by allways_learning, Feb 5, 2007.

1. allways_learning

allways_learning New Member

Hello all,

I have been called out to a Vaillant EcoMAx Combi, pressure down to zero, no CH, but HW OK, at the moment...?

I can not work out how to re-pressurerise the system, the Vaillant Tech info is n/a, is there a 'convention' with these boilers?

There is no sign of a filling loop, or anyway of pressurerising the system.... :(

thanks in advance

2. ultimatehandyman

ultimatehandyman New Member

So there is definately no filling loop near the boiler-

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/TOPPING_UP_A_COMBIBOILER.htm

A friend of mine had this and he had to connect an hose pipe from the cold tap to a drain off valve on a radiator and fill it that way.

I was amazed that there was no filling loop, this is really shoddy work IMHO.

3. allways_learning

.... :) Yep, there really is no filling loop, nothing!!

i don't know who installed it, about 3 years ago, but it wasn't me! :)

If it comes to it, i will try the hose pipe on the rad....

thanks....

4. Walterfilter

Walterfilter New Member

you may find that the supplied flexi filling loop, which fits directly under the boiler between two filling valve handles (factory built), has been removed as it should according to regs...try going on-line for a download of an installation manual for that boiler, and ask you customer to have a look around for the loop........

5. Walterfilter

Walterfilter New Member

6. allways_learning

.... doh.... :(
    i have just returned to the customer, the 'filling loop' is internal to the boiler casing, but the plastic 'key' that opens/closes the filling valve has been lost.... by getting on my back and wriggling up under the boiler i can see the loop just, and the slot that the key fits, looks like a screwdriver will do it...?

we shall see.......?

cheers

7. MOONSHINE

MOONSHINE New Member

allways_learning

Re: filing loop or filling point? Vaillant EcoMAx combi, where might it be?
    Posted: Feb 5, 2007 10:36 PM Reply

.... doh....
    i have just returned to the customer, the 'filling loop' is internal to the boiler casing, but the plastic 'key' that opens/closes the filling valve has been lost.... by getting on my back and wriggling up under the boiler i can see the loop just, and the slot that the key fits, looks like a screwdriver will do it...?

we shall see.......?

cheers

Most filling loops are attached now. How can you not spot a filling loop? Have a look around for the key it might be in a drawer or with the boiler books. I wouldn't try a screw driver. There should be a knob next to the key slot that you have to open once you have turned the key. & ask yourself why it is down to Zero. This is a simple operation to fill a system.

8. allways_learning

Moonshine,

I did not fit this boiler, so i was on a sticky wicket to start with....?

All the combis i have fitted, i fit the filling loop, nice and obvious, then commission the system, and disconnect the filling loop, but leave it near the boiler, for cases like this....

In this case, the bottom of the boiler is approx 7" off the floor, so as you can imagine getting your head under the boiler , to see the filling loop is difficult...?
    The customer is a little old lady, who has been ripped off before i fear, but she has no idea what they 'key' looks like or where it is?

I stand to be corrected, but i have never seen an 'internal' filling loop before, but then i have never fitted a Vaillant, so there you go...

thanks for your help...... NOT :)

Cheers everyone else...

9. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Why not just fill it through the drain cock or a radiator, Christ, the amount of time you have been fa.ting around asking questions, I could have had the job done and down the Pub £25 richer. Is it me or are all these guys as thick as mince???

10. bobw1956

bobw1956 New Member

The Vaillant Eco Max does not have a plastic key that fits into a slot.
    it has two black levers. located under and to the right of the boiler.
    So look again

11. new to here

new to here New Member

Christ, Poor bloke only asked and they're a right ba*rd to find if you've not done one before

12. allways_learning

Bob... I agree it 'should' have two black plastic levers, but it doesn't.... :(
    It doesn't have anything except two slots.... !

I have re-pressurised the system, customer is warm and happy now.

As to why it needed re-filling, i do not know, that is another story..... :)

Thanks again for all the constructive advice, Cheers